Blackhawks

Game 7 gives Ducks chance to rewrite last year's story

ducks-wcf-0527.png

Game 7 gives Ducks chance to rewrite last year's story

All season, the Anaheim Ducks talked about having a do-over in the postseason after letting a 3-2 series lead slip away to the Los Angeles Kings last year and falling in Game 7 at home.

Now, they'll have a chance to rewrite the story.

The Ducks are headed back to Anaheim with their season on the line after failing to put away the Blackhawks on Wednesday night. And they're going back home more confident than the last time they played in a win or go home situation.

"I think last year's Game 7 we were a bunch of Nervous Nellies," Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said following a 5-2 loss in Game 6. "Hopefully that happened in Game 6 and won't carry over to Game 7."

[SHOP: Gear up, Blackhawks fans!]

As if the task isn't tough enough, the Ducks will be looking to right the wrong against a Blackhawks team hoping to do the same after coming up a goal short from back-to-back Stanley Cup Final appearances a year ago against those same Kings.

One of the team's endings will turn out differently, and if it aren't the Ducks, they may look back at the missed opportunities early in Game 6.

The Ducks were rewarded with a power play in the opening minutes of the game, and held the Blackhawks — who struggled coming out of the gates for the second consecutive contest — to zero shots on goal in the first seven and a half minutes.

But the Ducks couldn't capitalize, and it came back to haunt them after the Blackhawks poured on three goals in a span of 3:45 in the second period.

[MORE: Duncan Keith's freak' effort lifts #Blackhawks in Game 6 win]

"I thought the tension was there a little bit, and it started with me," Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf said. "I was terrible tonight."

The Ducks eventually got two of them back, displaying the resiliency that has gotten them this far.

But in the end, a three-goal deficit proved to be too much of a hole to climb out of, even for these Ducks.

“I think we chased the game a little bit too much tonight," forward Ryan Kesler said. "I think we let them dictate the second period. They score three quick ones, it’s tough to come back."

It applied to the Blackhawks in Game 6, but now it applies to both teams: it's do or die time. Both teams have been here before — although it's Anaheim's first this postseason — and both teams know what it takes to win.

For the Ducks, they just need to prove it.

"It’s going to take every guy in the room. We just need to go out there and outwork them," forward Kyle Palmieri said. "It’s going to be on our home ice in front of our fans. It is Game 7 to go to the Stanley Cup Final, so if you don’t bring your game then I don’t know what to say."

Getzlaf echoed those sentiments when asked how the Ducks can make sure this year's outcome is different from last year's.

"Get ready to play," he said.

Blackhawks deal Michael Kempny to Capitals for conditional third-round pick

michal-kempny-0420.jpg
USA TODAY

Blackhawks deal Michael Kempny to Capitals for conditional third-round pick

The Blackhawks dealt defenseman Michael Kempny to the Washington Capitals for a third-round pick. Kempny had seven points in 31 games this season.

Kempny, 27, recorded 15 points in 81 career games for the Blackhawks. He tallied an assist in Saturday's 7-1 victory over the Capitals.

Kempny signed a one-year extension through the end of this season back in May.

Capitals' Devante Smith-Pelly speaks out about 'racially charged chanting' at United Center

Capitals' Devante Smith-Pelly speaks out about 'racially charged chanting' at United Center

After being on the receiving end of some racist taunts while he was in the penalty box during Saturday's game against the Blackhawks, Capitals winger Devante Smith-Pelly spoke publicly about the incident.

Smith-Pelly, a 25-year-old Canadian, reacted to the fans while he was in the box, going up to them from the other side of the glass. He addressed questions from the media about the incident on Sunday.

"I just heard some chanting, some, I guess, racially charged chanting," Smith-Pelly said. "You can tell by my reaction that I got pretty upset.

"What was said this time around crossed the line."

The Capitals released a statement about the incident:

"The Washington Capitals are extremely disappointed by the intolerant behavior extended toward Devante Smith-Pelly by a select group of fans during Saturday night's game against the Chicago Blackhawks at United Center. The Capitals organization strives to be inclusive and has zero tolerance concerning any form of racism. Such behavior is unacceptable and has no place in hockey or society. As such, it is crucial to confront such appalling conduct, and the Capitals extend their appreciation to the Blackhawks organization and United Center security for swiftly removing the fans from the game."

The Blackhawks released a statement after the game with a similar tone.

Smith-Pelly said this has happened previously in his career.

"It's sad that in 2018 we're still talking about the same thing over and over," Smith-Pelly said. "It's sad that athletes like myself 30, 40 years ago were standing in the same spot saying the same thing. You'd think there'd be some sort of change or progression, but we're still working towards it I guess and we're going to keep working towards it."

The Capitals released the full interview.