Blackhawks

Patrick Kane silent with accuser reportedly no longer cooperating in investigation

kaneaccusercoop110315.png

Patrick Kane silent with accuser reportedly no longer cooperating in investigation

The woman accusing Patrick Kane of rape reportedly no longer wants to cooperate in the investigation.

The Buffalo News, citing several sources, reported this morning that the woman has told the Eric County District Attorney’s office that she does not want to participate in the investigation, which has been ongoing for about three months.

Kane has been under investigation since early August, when the woman accused him of raping her at his Hamburg, N.Y., home. The BuffaloNews reported late Saturday night, once again citing several sources, that it was unlikely Kane would face charges in the investigation.

[HAWKS: Blackhawks score three times in third to beat Kings]

On Sunday, Kane said he wasn’t going to comment on reports – “for me to comment on that would be going against what we’ve been doing the whole time so I’m not really going to say much about it until the district attorney addresses everything and makes his decision,” he said. He basically reiterated that on Tuesday, saying he'll answer questions about hockey but not the investigation while it's still ongoing.

“Like I said, if you guys have questions about the game against St. Louis or the game last night, I’ll answer those,” Kane said. “But there’s no point in me answering anything else right now. Nothing’s happened.”

Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita III, when reached by the Buffalo News, would neither confirm nor deny the newspaper’s latest report. 

Blackhawks deal Michael Kempny to Capitals for conditional third-round pick

michal-kempny-0420.jpg
USA TODAY

Blackhawks deal Michael Kempny to Capitals for conditional third-round pick

The Blackhawks dealt defenseman Michael Kempny to the Washington Capitals for a third-round pick. Kempny had seven points in 31 games this season.

Kempny, 27, recorded 15 points in 81 career games for the Blackhawks. He tallied an assist in Saturday's 7-1 victory over the Capitals.

Kempny signed a one-year extension through the end of this season back in May.

Capitals' Devante Smith-Pelly speaks out about 'racially charged chanting' at United Center

Capitals' Devante Smith-Pelly speaks out about 'racially charged chanting' at United Center

After being on the receiving end of some racist taunts while he was in the penalty box during Saturday's game against the Blackhawks, Capitals winger Devante Smith-Pelly spoke publicly about the incident.

Smith-Pelly, a 25-year-old Canadian, reacted to the fans while he was in the box, going up to them from the other side of the glass. He addressed questions from the media about the incident on Sunday.

"I just heard some chanting, some, I guess, racially charged chanting," Smith-Pelly said. "You can tell by my reaction that I got pretty upset.

"What was said this time around crossed the line."

The Capitals released a statement about the incident:

"The Washington Capitals are extremely disappointed by the intolerant behavior extended toward Devante Smith-Pelly by a select group of fans during Saturday night's game against the Chicago Blackhawks at United Center. The Capitals organization strives to be inclusive and has zero tolerance concerning any form of racism. Such behavior is unacceptable and has no place in hockey or society. As such, it is crucial to confront such appalling conduct, and the Capitals extend their appreciation to the Blackhawks organization and United Center security for swiftly removing the fans from the game."

The Blackhawks released a statement after the game with a similar tone.

Smith-Pelly said this has happened previously in his career.

"It's sad that in 2018 we're still talking about the same thing over and over," Smith-Pelly said. "It's sad that athletes like myself 30, 40 years ago were standing in the same spot saying the same thing. You'd think there'd be some sort of change or progression, but we're still working towards it I guess and we're going to keep working towards it."

The Capitals released the full interview.