Cubs

Cubs wont be starstruck anymore

587440.png

Cubs wont be starstruck anymore

Perhaps this all ends Friday night, with everyone holding up a No. 34 jersey and flashbulbs popping inside a Hilton Chicago ballroom.

But its the middle of January and Kerry Wood is still a free agent. The 34-year-old reliever is being linked to contenders like the Philadelphia Phillies, Detroit Tigers and Los Angeles Angels. Maybe its time to chase a ring.

This is an iconic player who came back at a discount and will always be identified with this city. Hes also someone who, by his very nature, is proud and competitive and likes to keep score.

Whatever happens, Wood remaining unsigned past Christmas and well into the New Year shows that Theo Epstein isnt going to be starstruck. A deadline of sorts appears to be this weekends Cubs Convention.

We continue to want Kerry back in Chicago, general manager Jed Hoyer said Tuesday. Weve offered him a substantial raise and we certainly hope it gets done.

These executives are not worried about external pressure from the fans or media. They are not pretending that the team is one Prince Fielder megadeal away from the World Series. They are interested in value and walled off from sentiment, not particularly attached to this group of players.

This front office is playing the long game, which is why the Matt Garza trade rumors arent going away anytime soon. The signing of Paul Maholm became official on Tuesday and that represents another incremental move that wasnt made to sell tickets.

Maholm went 6-14 with a 3.66 ERA for a bad Pittsburgh Pirates team last year. He will receive 4.25 million this season, with a 6.5 million club option for 2013 (or a 500,000 buyout).

Maholm was shut down with shoulder soreness late last season, but described it as a pulled muscle, nothing major. He has been working with the training staff for Dr. James Andrews and expects to be good to go in spring training.

The Cubs now have six starters on paper: Garza, Maholm, Ryan Dempster, Randy Wells, Chris Volstad and Travis Wood. Hoyer wouldnt comment on the Garza reports, but said that the Maholm deal is not a precursor to anything.

Garza and Wood are two big names that would fit in on any team built to win now. The Cubs are looking to make a splash in 2014 and beyond.

Thirteen months ago, Wood attended Ron Santos funeral and felt a pull back toward the Cubs and a place that felt like home.

Wood took a below-market deal one year at 1.5 million that was negotiated by Jim Hendry, the general manager at the time. Their relationship went back to the 1995 draft, when the Cubs took the kid out of Grand Prairie High School (Texas) with the fourth overall pick.

There was also an understanding with chairman Tom Ricketts that Wood would have a role within the organization after his playing career was over.

Near the end of last season, Wood said he would probably retire if he couldnt pitch for the Cubs in 2012. The reliever laughed when it was suggested that he just gave away all his leverage.

Wood and his family live in Chicago during the offseason. His wife, Sarah, grew up in the citys suburbs and together theyve launched a charitable foundation that will hold a fundraiser on Friday night at Harry Carays Tavern on Navy Pier.

Several Cubs players are scheduled to attend the event, along with Ricketts and Epstein, who has called re-signing Wood a priority. A new administration might have a different idea of what Wood is worth.

We come in with somewhat of a fresh set of eyes, Hoyer said. That doesnt diminish what people have done long before were here. We both understand the history of the organization and we understand which players mean a lot to the fans. Kerry is one of them (and) were aware of (that).

Fresh eyes are one thing, but that doesnt mean you sort of ignore the rich past that the Cubs have.

Late Monday night Maholm announced the deal on his personal Twitter account. The next morning he told the media on the conference call: I wasnt trying to scoop any of you guys. Decision time is coming again soon, so you might want to follow @KerryWood.

Why did Kris Bryant get a first-place vote in this year's National League MVP balloting?

1117_kris_bryant.jpg
USA TODAY

Why did Kris Bryant get a first-place vote in this year's National League MVP balloting?

Kris Bryant was the 2016 National League MVP. And despite having what could be considered an even better campaign this past season, he finished seventh in voting for the 2017 edition of the award.

The NL MVP was awarded to Miami Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton on Thursday night, a fine choice, though it was nearly impossible to make a poor choice, that's how many fantastic players there were hitting the baseball in the NL this season.

After Stanton, Cinicinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto finished second, earning the same amount of first-place votes and losing out to Stanton by just one point. Then came Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, Colorado Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado, Rockies outfielder Charlie Blackmon and Washington Nationals third baseman Anthony Rendon ahead of Bryant.

But there was someone who thought Bryant deserved to repeat as the NL MVP. Yes, Bryant earned a first-place vote — as did everyone else mentioned besides Rendon, for that matter — causing a bit of a social-media stir considering the Cubs third baseman, despite his great season, perhaps wasn't as standout a candidate as some of the other guys who finished higher in the voting.

So the person who cast that first-place vote for Bryant, MLB.com's Mark Bowman, wrote up why he felt Bryant deserved to hoist the Kenesaw Mountain Landis Memorial Baseball Award for the second straight year.

"In the end, I chose Bryant because I believe he made the greatest impact, as his second-half production fueled the successful turnaround the Cubs experienced after the All-Star break," Bowman wrote.

"Though I don't believe the MVP must come from a playoff contender, in an attempt to differentiate the value provided by each of these three players (Bryant, Votto and Stanton), I chose to reward the impact made by Bryant, who produced the NL's fourth-best OPS (.968) after the All-Star break, when the Cubs distanced themselves from a sub-.500 record and produced an NL-best 49 wins."

It's easy for Cubs fans and observers to follow that logic, as the Cubs took off after the All-Star break following a disappointing first half. As good as Bryant was all season long, his second-half numbers, as Bowman pointed out, were especially great. He hit .325 with a .421 on-base percentage and a .548 slugging percentage over his final 69 games of the regular season, hitting 11 home runs, knocking out 21 doubles and driving in 35 runs during that span.

Perhaps the craziest thing about this year's MVP race and Bryant's place in it is that Bryant was just as good if not better than he was in 2016, when he was almost unanimously named the NL MVP. After slashing .292/.385/.554 with 39 homers, 102 RBIs, 35 doubles, 75 walks and 154 strikeouts in 2016, Bryant slashed .295/.409/.537 with 29 homers, 73 RBIs, 38 doubles, 95 walks and 128 strikeouts in 2017.

Of course, the competition was much steeper this time around. But Bryant was given the MVP award in 2016 playing for a 103-win Cubs team that was bursting with offensive firepower, getting great seasons from Anthony Rizzo (who finished third in 2016 NL MVP voting), as well as Dexter Fowler and Ben Zobrist. While the Cubs actually scored more runs this season and undoubtedly turned it on after the All-Star break on a team-wide basis, Bryant was far and away the best hitter on the team in 2017, with many other guys throughout the lineup having notably down years and/or experiencing down stretches throughout the season. Hence, making Bryant more, say it with me, valuable.

So Bowman's argument about Bryant's impact on the Cubs — a team that still scored 822 runs, won 92 games and advanced to the National League Championship Series — is a decently convincing one.

Check out Bowman's full explanation, which dives into some of Bryant's advanced stats.

Game on as Jake Arrieta, Wade Davis and Alex Cobb turn down qualifying offers

jakearrieta.png
AP

Game on as Jake Arrieta, Wade Davis and Alex Cobb turn down qualifying offers

During the middle of Jake Arrieta’s 2015 Cy Young Award campaign, super-agent Scott Boras compared the emerging Cubs pitcher to another client – Max Scherzer – in the first season of a seven-year, $210 million megadeal with the Washington Nationals.

Now don’t focus as much on the money – though that obviously matters – as when Scherzer arrived for that Washington press conference to put on his new Nationals jersey: Jan. 21, 2015.

It might take Boras a while to find a new home for his “big squirrel with a lot of nuts in his trees.” Teams have been gearing up for next winter’s monster Bryce Harper/Manny Machado free-agent class for years. Mystery surrounds Shohei Ohtani, Japan’s Babe Ruth, and the posting system with Nippon Professional Baseball. Major League Baseball’s competitive balance tax may also have a chilling effect this offseason.

As expected, Arrieta, All-Star closer Wade Davis and pitcher Alex Cobb were among the group of free agents who went 9-for-9 in declining the one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer before Thursday’s deadline.

With that formality out of the way, if Arrieta and Davis sign elsewhere, the Cubs will receive two third-round picks in the 2018 draft.

By staying under the $195 million luxury-tax threshold this year, the Cubs would have to give up a second-round draft pick and $500,000 from their international bonus pool to sign Cobb, an obvious target given their connections to the Tampa Bay Rays, or Lance Lynn, another starter on their radar who turned down a qualifying offer from the St. Louis Cardinals.

That collectively bargained luxury-tax system became a central part of the Boras media show on Wednesday outside the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, where he introduced “Playoffville” as his new go-to analogy at the end of the general manager meetings.

“The team cutting payroll is treating their family where they’re staying in a neighborhood that has less protection for winning,” Boras said. “They’re not living in the gated community of Playoffville. Certainly, they’re saving a de minimis property tax, but the reality of it is there’s less firemen in the bullpen. There’s less financial analysts sitting in the press boxes.

“The rooms in the house are less, so obviously you’re going to have less franchise players. When you move to that 12-room home in Playoffville, they generally are filled with the people that allow you to really achieve what your family – your regional family – wants to achieve. And that is winning.”

Boras also represents four other players who rejected qualifying offers – J.D Martinez, Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas and Greg Holland – another reason why this could be a long winter of Arrieta rumors, slow-playing negotiations and LOL metaphors.