White Sox

The five most important hits of the White Sox season

842139.png

The five most important hits of the White Sox season

Jordan Danks earned the White Sox a win last night a win last night, belting a walk-off home run with two outs in the ninth to push his team past Oakland, 4-3. But it wasn't the biggest hit of the season by a White Sox player.

Briefly: Win Probability Added is a stat that measures how positively or negatively a player's performance affected his team's chances of winning a specific game. In the case of Danks, when he came to bat in the ninth, the White Sox had a 53.3 percent chance of beating Oakland. His home run -- because it was a walk-off -- gave the White Sox a 100 percent chance of winning, and thus, he increased his team's chances of winning by 46.7 percent, which is a WPA of .467.

Anyways, on to the top five plays, as measured by WPA:

1. Dayan Viciedo: 628 vs. New York, .513 WPA

Source: FanGraphs

With the White Sox down 3-1 in the top of the ninth, Viciedo cranked David Robertson's offering over the left-field fence at Yankee Stadium for a three-run homer, a seismic shift in the Sox chances of winning the game. The White Sox went from having a 31.3 percent chance of victory to 82.4 percent with on swing of the bat.

2. Adam Dunn: 55 vs. Detroit, .485 WPA

Source: FanGraphs

The White Sox only needed a run to tie Detroit in the top of the ninth, and with Alejandro De Aza on third with one out, all Dunn had to do was hit a sacrifice fly. He one-upped that, homering off Jose Valverde to give the Sox a 3-2 advantage. The White Sox went from a 33.5 percent chance of winning to 80.9 with Dunn's homer, and as of Saturday morning, that's the difference between alone in first and a tie for first in the AL Central.

3. Jordan Danks: 810 vs. Oakland, .467 WPA

Source: FanGraphs

The first walk-off home run of the list was not only Danks' first career home run, but it was also the first walk-off homer he hit at any level, from Little League to the pros. Unlike Viciedo and Dunn's blasts, the White Sox had a decent chance of winning the game when Danks stepped up, at 53.3 percent (tie games generally favor the home team). But for all the walk-offs the White Sox have had this season, Danks' blast stands as the biggest.

4. Alexei Ramirez, 425 vs. Oakland: .449 WPA

Source: FanGraphs

The White Sox tied things up in the ninth on Paul Konerko's 400th home run (which, by the way, had a WPA of .350), which sent this late-April game spiraling into extra innings. Finally, the Sox broke through with two outs in the 14th on a two-run double by Ramirez...but Hector Santiago allowed a game-tying two-run homer to Yoenis Cespedes (.478 WPA) and a walk-off single to Kile Ka'aihue (.301 WPA), and the A's went from a 3.8 percent chance of winning to 100 percent in the inning.

5. Alex Rios: 58 vs. Cleveland, .383 WPA

Source: FanGraphs

The White Sox steadily built a lead that was quickly erased in the eighth, but Rios' 10th-inning triple scored Brent Lillibridge from first and put the Sox back ahead 4-3. The hit dashed Cleveland's hopes of winning, which fell from 49.9 percent to 11.7 on the hit.

White Sox Talk Podcast: 'Searching for a safe space in Cubslandia'

cubs.jpg
USA TODAY

White Sox Talk Podcast: 'Searching for a safe space in Cubslandia'

With the Cubs back in the NLCS, White Sox fans have had to deal with another post-season of Cubs this and Cubs that. How does one escape it? Diehard White Sox fan John Kass of the Chicago Tribune comes on the podcast to talk with Chuck Garfien about his recent column entitled "Searching for a safe space in Cubslandia." Kass talks about how he's dealing with the Cubs success and how White Sox fans can find this safe space. He tells the story about taking the White Sox World Series trophy into a Chicago Tribune board meeting in 2005 to rub it in the faces of the Trib's executives who were all Cubs fans.  

Kass talks about how he watches the Cubs in the playoffs, the Chicago media coverage of their playoff run and how Cubs fans will react if they don't repeat as champions. Garfien and Kass also discuss the White Sox rebuild, the Cubs losing in 2003 and why Kass will be calling Cubs Pre and Post host David Kaplan in the middle of the night if and when the Cubs are eliminated.  

White Sox mourn passing of former pitcher Daniel Webb

10-14_daniel_webb_usat.jpg
USA TODAY

White Sox mourn passing of former pitcher Daniel Webb

Former White Sox pitcher Daniel Webb died at the age of 28 in an ATV accident on Saturday night, according to Humphreys County Sheriff Chris Davis.

Davis called it a “tragic accident, and we should rally around the family.”

Webb, a Paducah, Ky. native, was with the White Sox from 2013-16 and went 7-5 with a 4.50 ERA.

The White Sox released this statement:

Daniel left many friends within the Chicago White Sox organization, and we are all shocked and stunned by the news of last night's terrible accident. He was a terrific young man with a full life ahead of him. All thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends as they deal with today's tragic news.