White Sox

Guillen to Jenks: 'Stay away from Oney'

397518.jpg

Guillen to Jenks: 'Stay away from Oney'

Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011
Posted 2:31 p.m.

By Brett Ballantini
CSNChicago.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. Asked about recent comments by Bobby Jenks, who claimed he was affected by feud between Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and GM Ken Williams, Guillen today attempted to take the high road and refused to play dirty in any ongoing war with his former closer.

In his most comprehensive and calmest comment, Guillen sarcastically mentioned, Too bad all the stuff about me and Kenny interrupts his career.

On Friday at Boston Red Sox camp in Ft. Myers, Fla., Jenks had told the Chicago Tribune that he was affected by the front-office controversy in recent years on the White Sox.

A lot of the stuff with Ozzie Guillen and the front office gets old, Jenks said. It has been a problem for a long time. It was a problem before last year Its going to be nice for me to see how things are done with the Red Sox.

However, Guillen didnt hesitate to warn Jenks not to get messed up in a war of words with his son, Oney, who tweeted some clubhouse information about Jenks back in December.

Please, someone who knows Jenks, please tell him not to talk about Oney, Guillen said. Its going to be ugly. I talked to my wife about it, to make sure to tell Oney to let it go. It can end bad. Me? Thats OK. Kenny is OK with itI talked to Kenny. But Oney? Stay away from Oney. Hes not a good kid. When you go to that point with him, Oney knows a lot about a lot of things. Make sure Jenks stays away from Oney.

Oney has made a few tweets on Saturday in reference to the simmering controversy, and he appears to be taking his fathers advice:

I will not comment a single word bc to me the issue was over. Hope u know now who the problem was.

I'm not part of the problem I'm part of the solution happy Saturday.

He is lucky I'm mature and put this to rest. Apologies r accepted I told u it wasn't me.

The White Sox manager did get angrier as he spoke on Jenks, saying,Things that happened last year, I can make a book about Jenks. Not one pageI can make a book out of this kid. I feel bad and sad he thinks that way about me. I feel very sad about it. He knows I can easily kill this kid.

Guillen took particular offense at Jenks pointing fingers.

Bobby was tired of the front-office controversies? So was I, and so was Kenny, Guillen said. But I will apologize to him because we interrupted his career. Thats one of the biggest reasons we finished second: He showed up once a week to pitch.

He had a lot of problems, but we were loyal to him by playing him. I was a very bad manager because I kept him as my closer when he couldnt close. He has to look at himself in the mirror.

Guillen repeated the stance he took on Jenks in January, shaking his head over Jenkss reluctance to put his time with the White Sox to rest.

Im very sad, Guillen said. Im not even mad about it. Im very sad about the way he thinks about us. Am I going to say anything bad about him? Im not going to waste my timehes not part of my program. Its very sad because he should look at himself in the mirror, and all the things he said in the paper, to realize what he said. Like I said in January, if there was one player I ever managed, I did more stuff for him than anybody else, on the field and off the field.

He did a lot of bad things last year. We lied for him. We protected him.

Guillen added that when controversy first broke between Oney and Jenks, he asked around the clubhouse for Jenkss number, and had no luck.

We dont miss himask 30 guys out there, he said. By the way, I was asking for his number to talk to him about it, and nobody has his number. You can tell what happened.

Guillen made several references to how calm he was this season, and how tranquil his camp has been. If the Jenks comments had come in 2009 or 2010, it would have been a different story.

Thank God he was talking about me, not about the club, Guillen said. If Bobby was talking about the club, I would be on TV everywhere, because I would rip his guts.

And by way of parting words, Guillen made reference to the fact that he might have to call Boston manager Terry Francona with some words of advice regarding Jenks, and shared the same with Jenks himself.

He has to worry about Boston and what he has to do for them, the tranquil skipper said. I bet you Terry Francona wont put up with the expletive we put up with Jenks here. I have Terrys number there to call him and say, make sure you tell Bobby to worry about the Boston Red Sox, and dont worry about what happened here or whatever.
Brett Ballantini is CSNChicago.com's White Sox Insider. Follow him @CSNChi_Beatnik on Twitter for up-to-the-minute White Sox information.

Volstad, Santiago show capability as rotation alternatives, but White Sox still have starting-pitching mystery this weekend

0424-chris-volstad.jpg
USA TODAY

Volstad, Santiago show capability as rotation alternatives, but White Sox still have starting-pitching mystery this weekend

Chris Volstad and Hector Santiago combined for one of the best outings by a White Sox starting pitcher this season.

These weren’t the names anyone expected to fit that description when the season began. But with struggles all around from James Shields, Lucas Giolito, Miguel Gonzalez and Carson Fulmer, here the White Sox sit as they approach the one-month mark of the 2018 campaign.

Reynaldo Lopez has been excellent, no doubt about it, and Fulmer has turned in a couple nice outings, including in Monday’s win over the visiting Seattle Mariners. But against that same M’s lineup Tuesday afternoon, Volstad — who lasted 4.1 innings in a 1-0 loss — became the first White Sox starter this season not to issue a walk.

It was an important outing for Volstad, as well as for Santiago, who followed him up with 3.1 shutout innings of his own. The duo showed they’re both capable of serving as reliable fill-ins in a White Sox rotation that got a hole punched in it Monday, when Gonzalez went to the disabled list.

Shields, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer. Those guys aren’t going anywhere. But should Gonzalez remain on the DL for an extended period of time, it doesn’t seem as if the White Sox need to be searching for options.

“Volstad and Hector both did a nice job. I thought they gave us plenty of outs, they gave us plenty of opportunity,” manager Rick Renteria said after Tuesday’s game.

But that doesn’t mean the South Siders are out of the starting-pitching woods for the remainder of this week. Shields will go in Wednesday’s finale with the Mariners. Giolito and Lopez are set to pitch in the first two games of a five-game road series against the Kansas City Royals on Thursday and Friday, respectively.

But Saturday presents a mystery, one that doesn’t seem to have an easy answer.

Thanks to that opening-weekend snow-out, there’s a doubleheader Saturday, and while Fulmer is in line to start one of those games, who will start the other? The White Sox will get a 26th man for that day, and that spot is typically given to a spot starter brought up from Triple-A. But given the White Sox current situation on the 40-man roster, there aren’t many options, meaning a player might need to be outrighted in order to make room for a spot starter.

Let’s get this out of the way first: It seems unlikely that Michael Kopech will make his major league debut in a spot start during an April doubleheader in Kansas City. Yes, Kopech has been good in his three starts with Charlotte, sporting a 2.40 ERA with 21 strikeouts. But he’s got just six total starts at the Triple-A level, and the White Sox have made it abundantly clear throughout the last several months that the necessities of the big league team during this rebuilding season and Kopech’s readiness for the majors are independent of one another.

It makes no sense to potentially cut short Kopech’s development at the Triple-A level because the big league rotation needs a spot starter.

The options, however, are limited.

Of the seven players who have started games for the Knights this season, two are on the big league roster right now (Volstad and Chris Beck), one is Kopech and one has a 9.75 ERA (T.J. House). One is on the 40-man roster, Ricardo Pinto, who made his first start at Charlotte on Tuesday. Pinto, though, would be on short rest Saturday.

The other two are Dylan Covey, who turned in a 7.71 ERA with the White Sox last season, and Donn Roach, who has made two career major league starts, most recently giving up four runs in 3.1 innings in a spot start for the Cubs in 2015. Covey and Roach have 2.95 and 1.88 ERAs at Charlotte, respectively. But the White Sox would need to make room on the 40-man roster to bring either up, even just for a day.

While it would be on “short rest,” perhaps the most logical option is just to start Volstad or Santiago on Saturday and start the other on Sunday. Tuesday, Volstad threw 66 pitches and Santiago threw 59 pitches, neither total approaching the qualification of a heavy workload, especially considering both veterans have plenty of starting experience under their belts.

Renteria talked about how well it worked using both guys in tandem Tuesday, but he might have to split them up to staff his rotation this weekend. It would also eliminate the need to remove someone from the 40-man roster. The White Sox could just bring up another bullpen arm as the 26th man, someone like Juan Minaya, who was on the Opening Day roster.

Renteria has already shown willingness to use his pitchers outside of the traditional “every fifth day” strategy. Shields and Fulmer both pitched in back-to-back games just last week. And Fulmer’s turn was moved up when Gonzalez went on the DL, pressing him into his third appearance in six days Monday.

The mystery likely won’t be solved, at least publicly, anytime soon. We’ll likely have to wait a few days to know for sure. Until then, it’s a guessing game.

White Sox Talk Podcast: Trayce Thompson - 'This is home'

trayce_thompson.jpg
USA TODAY

White Sox Talk Podcast: Trayce Thompson - 'This is home'

Drafted by the White Sox in 2009, Trayce Thompson never wanted to play for another team but the White Sox. 

All that changed in 2015 when he was dealt to the Dodgers in the Todd Frazier trade. Now back with the White Sox, Thompson talks with Chuck Garfien about the trials and tribulations of the last few years, the whirlwind of being on 4 teams in the last 4 weeks, how the White Sox threw him a lifeline bringing him back, how he wants to make the best of this new opportunity and more. 

Take a listen here or in the embedded player below.