There have been some contradictory stories during the last 24 hours regarding the injury status of the UFC featherweight champion, but at least for now Jose Aldo says he's fine.
Heavy.com first broke the news on Monday evening that Aldo had suffered an undisclosed injury in training that his scheduled late-summer title defense against Chad Mendes would have to be pushed back to at least early fall. The website cited several sources close to the fighter and even said Mendes was planning to take a fight in the interim - instead of waiting for the champ, Rashad Evans-style - if it turned out Aldo would be on the shelf for an extended period of time.
Not long after those original reports began to circulate however, Aldo manager Ed Soares told MMA Junkie that his fighter was not hurt. Soares said the only problem was that Aldo had been handed a 60-day medical suspension in the wake of his UFC 129 win over Mark Hominick and that it would make it difficult for him to be ready to make another defense of his championship before at least September.
Original reports said the fight was being targeted for either Aug. 6 at UFC 133 in Philadelphia or for UFC 134, which will be the company's first trip back to Brazil since the late 1990s, at UFC 134.
"Hey guys, I saw a report saying that I injured myself," Aldo wrote, translation according to Sherdog.com and ESPN Rumor Central. "Let me be clear that I'm not hurt, once again, I'm not hurt."
Let's hope this latest word out of Aldo's camp is true. Aldo's fight at UFC 129 was his first since taking a break to rehab a neck injury. At just 24 years old, he has the potential to develop into one of the promotion's top draws and one of the most popular and exciting fighters in the sport. It would be a shame to see his early UFC career beset by injury.