49ers will ban tailgating after games start - NBC Sports

49ers will ban tailgating after games start
SF mayor upset after watching violent fan confrontations at Raiders-49ers
August 22, 2011, 7:08 pm

The 49ers will ban tailgating in the parking lot of Candlestick Park after games start, and season ticket holders caught misbehaving on video will have their passes revoked in moves announced Monday after violence marred a preseason game against the Raiders.

In addition, 49ers CEO Jed York said he will recommend to the NFL that the annual preseason game between the archrival 49ers and Raiders be put off next year.

"This is a game where you have a rivalry situation and, unfortunately you have the worst segment from a very small segment of both fan bases that come and brings about this type of event," York said. "It's our belief that we should recommend to the NFL that this game is at least postponed for some period of time."

York later said, "I think that's an easier solution. It's unfortunate."

San Francisco police, Mayor Ed Lee and 49ers officials also said police will set up DUI checkpoints near the stadium after all home games and strictly forbid alcohol consumption then.

Lee said earlier in the day he was horrified as he watched violent fan confrontations at the game. Lee attended Saturday's game with Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, and both witnessed the brawling firsthand as spectators.

"They were just constantly wailing at each other without regard to who was there," Lee said of the fans. "This is a family outing, for residents and visitors and people who want to see the game, not for people to look for people they don't like, then saying bad words, then getting into it."

Police Chief Greg Suhr, a lifelong San Franciscan, said Saturday night was an "aberration."

Meanwhile, two men who were initially listed as seriously injured in the violence have been upgraded to fair condition by a hospital.

One of the victims, a 24-year-old man who reportedly was wearing a T-shirt reading "F--- the Niners," was shot several times in the stomach. Police said he managed to make it to stadium security for help despite the injuries.

The other victim whose condition was upgraded is a 26-year-old man who was beaten unconscious in an upper level stadium restroom during the fourth quarter.

Another shooting victim was treated after receiving superficial facial wounds after the game.

Police did not release the name of any victims. No arrests have been made.

Investigators were searching for suspects and interviewing witnesses, said Officer Albie Esparza, a San Francisco police spokesman.

Police also were seeking motives in the shootings, including whether the attacks were influenced by emotions involving the annual Battle of the Bay exhibition game or possibly gang connections.

The shootings evoked memories of the beating in March of a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium. The Giants and Dodgers baseball teams also are fierce rivals.

Esparza said police are still looking for a person of interest connected to at least one of the shootings at the football game. He would not specify which shooting.

The crimes previously prompted Lee and Quan to issue a joint statement condemning the violence and saying it will not be tolerated at stadiums in either city.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello echoed similar concerns, saying the league deplored the activities and pledged to support the mayors and law enforcement.

Raiders CEO Amy Trask also said the incidents were not acceptable to the Raiders or to any National Football League team and "our thoughts are with all affected."

Police Sgt. Frank Harrell said the man who was wearing the T-shirt drove his truck to a gate and stumbled to stadium security.

He said the two shootings were being treated a separate incidents but were likely related.

The attacks come nearly five months after San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow was severely beaten by two men in Los Angeles Dodgers gear outside Dodger Stadium after the archrivals' season opener.

Two men charged in the beating, Louie Sanchez, 28, and Marvin Norwood, 30, have pleaded not guilty.

Stow, 42, a Santa Cruz paramedic, suffered severe brain injuries and remains hospitalized in serious condition.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Channel Finder