Apparently there have been some real ups and downs with Jusuf Nurkic's healing process. Excuse me, but I'm kidding. I doubt if that non-displaced fracture is as volatile as the team's injury reports make it sound.
In case you haven't noticed, the Trail Blazers are about to play Game 3 of their first-round series against the Golden State Warriors and Nurkic's status has been different on each pre-game injury report. And it hasn't even trended entirely in one direction.
Prior to Game 1 of the series, his status was listed as "questionable" -- and in NBA parlance the Trail Blazers say that means a 50-50 chance that he would play. Before Game 2 he was declared "out " -- as in no chance of playing. And now for Game 3 in Moda Center Saturday night, he's been "upgraded to doubtful" -- which is supposed to mean the chance is 75 percent that he won't play, but obviously a 25 percent chance he will. "Probable," by the way, means there's a 75 percent chance he would play.
Interesting. And also quite intriguing that the only game he was listed as "out" was the game in which he spoke to reporters the day before the game and declared himself out -- saying he wasn't yet ready to play. Friday he wasn't made available to the media. Hmm. Maybe they've decided not to let him give any more updates.
I must say I'm a little puzzled by the differing distinctions if these reports are actually based on a day-to-day assessment of the condition of his injury. So a week ago there was a better chance he'd play than there is now? And just a couple of days ago there was no chance he could play? Now, there's a small chance, they say. That's quite a healing pattern.
Either that's a pretty fragile situation with his leg or someone is just playing games with the injury report. Even then, it would seem to make more sense merely to list him as "questionable" prior to every game -- leaving the Warriors in doubt about his status until an hour or so before each game.
If anyone asks me about his status, by the way, I now have a one-word answer: