Our man AU, writing for The Basketball Jones, has put together one of the best posts we've ever read that combines basketball and HBO's "The Wire", perhaps my favorite television show ever.
First, he goes through the top 8 hoops moments from the show (complete with an Elton Brand mention!) but honestly that just seems like an exercise to go through in order to come up with the money part: the top 8 hoops moments they should have had on the Wire.
Thomas “Herc” Hauk and Ellis Carver debate whether or not Baltimore
ever had a professional NBA team. Carver insists that the Wizards used
to play in Baltimore. “You’re just confusing them with the Washington
Bullets,” explains Herc. “See, the Wizards used to be called the
Bullets. But they still played in Washington.” Carver looks back at
him, dumbfounded. “Of all the retarded fucking arguments I’ve gotten
into with you over the years, this has got to be the stupidest,” he
states. Herc shrugs and walks away, confident in his historical
Fantastic. Go read it all.
Only thing missing is a scene on the docks in which Horseface makes some dumb bet that Ziggy can't dunk on the hoop behind office/shed. In an attempt to show how badass he is, Ziggy attempts to throw one down, only to slip and fall into the harbor.
>>Pick-and-Pop: The top 8 hoops moments on ‘The Wire’ (and 8 that should have happened) [TBJ]
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Joel Embiid said plenty with his words on Tuesday afternoon when he called the decision to have a minutes restriction in the teens to begin the season "f-----g BS."
He also sent a message with his fresh new look.
Jojo showed up to practice on the eve of the Sixers' season with a new hairstyle -- some cornrows remeniscent of the last great Sixer to captivate the city of Philadelphia.
No, not Andrew Bynum.
We're talking about Allen Iverson.
"I had the old hairstyle for a long time so I just wanted something new," Embiid said. "I know my mom won't be happy but it's only for a couple of days."
Robert Covington saw a resemblance, "Everybody was shocked. Told him he’s going to be the new AI.”
Was he inspired by somebody? Anybody?
"I just wanted something new, something crazy. I never do anything crazy, so..."
"I think it looks okay," Embiid, always his toughest critic, said.