Not larger arenas in Kansas City or Quebec. Not even the proposed building in Seattle.
The New York Islanders announced Wednesday afternoon that they will be moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn following the 2014-15 season, when their lease at the hopeless Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum finally expires.
The move to Brooklyn has been reported as a possibility for months but always seemed curious considering the spacial limitations at Barclays. The venue was purpose-built for basketball and, as currently constructed, can only fit 14,500 fans for hockey in a unique horseshoe setting (image below from Brooklyn Daily via ProHockeyTalk):
That number will make Barclays the smallest of the NHL's 30 arenas.
The Islanders were scheduled to play a preseason game at Barclays on Oct. 2. Of course, the NHL didn't have a preseason, prompting these two beauties from Tim Panaccio:
Bon fortuna, Isles
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Apparently Kyrie Irving doesn't want to talk about LeBron James.
After the Celtics' win over the Sixers on Friday, a fan asked Irving, "Where's LeBron?"
Irving's response ... NSFW ...
WARNING: The video contains offensive language. But if that kind of thing doesn't bother you, you can watch it here.
Irving was asked about the incident by reporters Saturday.
So what he's basically saying is "sorry, not sorry."
With the video circulating around social media, expect Irving to hear from the league.