Todd Zolecki reports that the Phillies' 2007 Opening Day starter has been demoted to the bullpen, where he'll set up for Flash Gordon. Jon Lieber will replace him in the rotation.
In three starts, Myers is 0-2, with a 9.39 ERA. He has allowed 16 earned runs, with 19 strikeouts and 9 walks in 151/3 innings.
Lieber is 0-0 with an 11.57 ERA, allowing two walks with no strikeouts
in 21/3 innings in his two relief appearances this season.
Brett's numbers have been bad in two of three starts so far, but isn't this a little premature? I thought he was pretty good on Opening Day, and that he's at least better than Lieber, who hasn't exactly been lights out. Brett must have agreed to it, as he said previously he'd accept any role the team thought best. We'll see how long that lasts. It may just be a short-term thing to try to boost Lieber's trade value, since they obviously need help right now.
Brett Myers Named Opening Day Starter [The 700 Level]
To Brett Myers: Put That Coffee Down [The 700 Level]
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Another old friend is joining the Phillies' coaching staff as a guest instructor in Clearwater this spring.
Bobby Abreu will make his coaching debut, while Larry Bowa, Brad Lidge, Charlie Manuel, Dan Plesac and Mike Schmidt will all be back to assist in spring training.
Gabe Kapler has a lot of experience on his side as he prepares for his first camp as a major-league manager.
Abreu was a polarizing player in these parts, drawing criticism from fans for a perceived lack of hustle and not nearly enough praise for hitting .303/.416/.513 in his nine seasons with the Phils. He was one of the most complete players in the game during his peak from 1998 to 2006.
The Phillies' first workout with pitchers and catchers is Feb. 14 in Clearwater. Full-squad workouts begin on Feb. 19.