During Charlie Manuel's regular pregame powwow with reporters this afternoon, the topic of ballplayers with the best arm arose. Mark Whiten, Dave Parker, and Ichiro were all mentioned.
"Roger Maris had a good arm," Manuel said.
Charlie was then asked if he ever remembered anyone in particular throwing him out going from first to third.
"Naw, I was so fast," Charlie joked.
This prompted one writer to break out his iPhone and Google players throughout history with the most outfield assists.
Charlie saw the iPhone and suggested while the writer was Googling meaningless baseball stats, why not also look up Virginia State Marble Championship results from… oh… 1955 or 1956 or so.
According to Manuel, he won the Virginia State Championship in Marbles as a sixth grader. Apparently it rained that day, and instead of playing on grass outdoors as usual, the contest was moved inside and was played on concrete, a surface Charlie had never played on before.
Didn't matter. Winners win no matter the circumstances.
And I don't believe anyone followed up by asking Charlie if he knew where his marbles currently were.
We attempted to Google the results of the State Championship of Marbles in Virginia but our limited research proved unfruitful. If you have any information on marble champions, we'd love to hear it.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
The online petition to ban Pete Morelli from officiating Eagles games is rapidly gaining signatures.
Count Malcolm Jenkins for one.
"I would definitely sign that petition if it came across my desk," Jenkins said with a laugh to NBC Sports Philadelphia's John Clark on Monday at the safety's Blitz, Bow Ties and Bourbon charity event.
The Eagles beat the Panthers, 28-23, last Thursday night despite a significant discrepancy in penalty yards. It was a game officiated by Morelli's crew — and you can see why that's notable by clicking right here.
"We felt like a lot of those were ticky-tack, or weren’t good calls," Jenkins said after the game. "For us, adversity is nothing new for us. We just kind of strap up and keep playing, and hunker down. We continue to play aggressively, that is the biggest thing. We don’t want that to take away our aggression, or our ability to make plays. So we just go to the next play."
What about the next signature?
Eagles fans just need to get that petition to Jenkins' desk.