Former Temple coach Wayne Hardin was named to the College Football Hall of Fame on Tuesday.
Hardin is the winningest coach in program history, with an 80-50-3 record. His 1979 team, which finished 10-2, was the first in Owls history to win a bowl game and the only to finish a season ranked (No. 17).
But that's not why we're here.
Because from 1973-74, Temple actually owned the longest winning streak in the nation at 14 games. After the 13th in a row, Sports Illustrated, in its Oct. 26 issue, decided to write a story on Hardin's program, entitled:
Then there's the opening:
Forget all that old business about desire, dedication and do or die. Temple's Wayne Hardin has hit on a new formula that seems as simple as it is surefire. Take one heavy dose of loneliness. Mix well with a dash of rejection and disillusionment. Stir in a few assorted longings—for a clean pair of socks, say, a cold beer or a faraway girl friend—and presto! You've got a 13-game winning streak.
The Charles Ramsey video is just about the only thing I've seen better than that all day. Especially when you consider that Temple fans themselves spent the decades after praying just to win a game.
To read the full SI story ---> When Playing Temple, Pray
And for more on Hardin ---> Former Temple coach Hardin named to College Football HOF
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
You absolutely hate to see it.
That's how the sports world felt Tuesday night when Celtics small forward Gordon Hayward suffered a gruesome leg injury during the NBA opener against the Cavaliers at Quicken Loans Arena.
The injury, which is graphic, can be seen here. Hayward has been diagnosed with a fractured left ankle.
Instantly, an outpouring of support spread across the NBA.
Here is some reaction from Sixers players:
Eagles rookie Sidney Jones knows about tough injuries. He's recovering from a torn Achilles tendon.
And the terrible injury produced some powerful scenes and images.