In October of 1993, during the Phillies World Series against the Blue Jays, legendary Saturday Night Live comedian Chris Farley did his impression of the Fightins portly first baseman, John Kruk. Perhaps you've stumbled across this before, but finding it uploaded to YouTube today was the first I'd seen of it.
There are two segments featuring Kruk and the Phillies from this episode. The first, featuring a couple of Phillies players -- Mike Myers and Adam Sandler included -- watching the Canadian National Anthem, plays off the stereotypes surrounding the 1993 World Series team quite well.
According to an SNL Archives webpage, Farley as Kruker appeared a couple of years later as well in 1995 in a skit about the MLB Players Association. We were unsuccessful in tracking that clip down, but we threw a clip of Kruker from the David Letterman show in 1992 in the sidebar for good measure.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
CAMDEN, N.J. — Joel Embiid is letting it be known he is unhappy about his minute restrictions to start the season.
"That's f---ing BS," he said after practice Tuesday. "I wish I was playing more minutes. I think I'm ready for more than I don't know whatever number they have."
The Sixers are eyeing 16 minutes for Embiid on opening night. He played nearly 15 minutes in his two preseason games and thinks he can handle more.
He has expressed his feelings to the team.
"I always think I have a voice so I'm sure they're listening to what I have to say too," he said. "But they're making a decision based on what they think. But I think that's BS."