Union fans hoping for another look at David Beckham will be disappointed
when the LA Galaxy pull into PPL Park on Wednesday night without him.
Bruce Arena made the call to sit Beckham for the mid-week showdown with
Philadelphia, which falls between consecutive weekend matches for LA. I don't
know if Galaxy teammate Landon Donovan was cracking jokes at Beckham's
expense, just speaking the truth, or a combination of both, but he is in
the early lead for best quip at Beckham's resting.
you have to travel the way we do — cross-country for a game like this —
you can’t expect someone his age to play three games in a week.”
the Galaxy's captain and leading scorer, thinks the team will be OK
without Beckham. Aside from wanting to see the celeb star play in
Chester for the first time since last summer, the absence of Beckham
also means the Galaxy will be without one of the all-time masters of set
pieces and free kicks. Kevin Kinkead reminds us that not only did the
Galaxy's lone goal in their previous 1-0 win over the Union this season
come off a Beckham set piece, but all of the goals allowed by the
Union have come either directly off a free kick or as a result of a
failed clear after one.
The result tomorrow night is what's most important, but we'd have rather
seen Beckham out there for it. Plus, with the Lakers out of the
playoffs, who knows what he'll do with the downtime.
Union boss Peter Nowak won't be here for this game either, instead traveling to his native Poland to play in a charity game.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Joel Embiid said plenty with his words on Tuesday afternoon when he called the decision to have a minutes restriction in the teens to begin the season "f-----g BS."
He also sent a message with his fresh new look.
Jojo showed up to practice on the eve of the Sixers' season with a new hairstyle -- some cornrows remeniscent of the last great Sixer to captivate the city of Philadelphia.
No, not Andrew Bynum.
We're talking about Allen Iverson.
"I had the old hairstyle for a long time so I just wanted something new," Embiid said. "I know my mom won't be happy but it's only for a couple of days."
Robert Covington saw a resemblance, "Everybody was shocked. Told him he’s going to be the new AI.”
Was he inspired by somebody? Anybody?
"I just wanted something new, something crazy. I never do anything crazy, so..."
"I think it looks okay," Embiid, always his toughest critic, said.