Fletcher Cox won't be suspended after all.
The NFL was reportedly looking into possibly suspending the Eagles' Pro Bowl defensive tackle for his block on 49ers' Joe Staley during Jalen Mills' pick-6 on Sunday. On the play, Cox blocked the offensive tackle and Staley suffered a broken orbital bone and got a gash under his eye.
Well, on a conference call Tuesday morning, the NFL's Joe Lockhart said the league is not suspending Cox (or Kiko Alonso for his hit on Joe Flacco).
That's obviously good news for the Eagles; Cox has been playing very well since returning from a calf injury that kept him out against the Chargers and Cardinals. He's second on the team with 4½ sacks, even with missing two games. He also has nine tackles, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He's a big reason why the defensive line is humming right now.
The TV angle on the hit made it tough to see and even Doug Pederson said he had a hard time seeing much on the coach's tape.
Even though Cox wasn't suspended, it doesn't mean a fine won't be coming his way. But with the $100 million contract he signed last year, he'll be able to afford it.
The Eagles couldn't afford to lose him and now they won't.
The Super Bowl champion Eagles face a multitude of tough decisions this offseason.
The toughest is what to do with Super Bowl LII MVP Nick Foles. With franchise QB Carson Wentz recovering from a serious knee injury, the situation becomes more complicated.
Longtime NFL executive and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian essentially thinks Foles is untouchable.
Two first-round and two second-round picks would be a doozy of an offer for a quarterback who has one year left under contract. But that speaks to how highly Polian values Foles and the idea of having a top-notch backup QB on a contending team.
Former Eagles LB turned TV host Dhani Jones is in the same boat as Polian, saying he believes that Foles should be the starter, even if Wentz is healthy by Week 1.
Check out Jones' opinion in the video above.
While the Eagles have been figuring out their new-look coaching staff, one of the more important people in the NovaCare Complex is leaving.
Head athletic trainer Chris Peduzzi announced on Tuesday that he is stepping down from his role with the team.
"We thank Chris for his contributions over the last 19 seasons and we wish him and his family all the best," the Eagles said in a statement.
Peduzzi took over as head trainer after Rick Burkholder went to Kansas City with Andy Reid in 2013. But Peduzzi had been with the Eagles in some capacity since 1999, when he joined the franchise as an assistant trainer.
“It has been an honor and a blessing to be part of this organization for the past 19 seasons,” Peduzzi said in a statement released by the Eagles. “I especially want to thank Mr. Lurie for his faith in me to care for the health of his players. I never took that lightly. I also want to thank Coach Pederson and Howie Roseman for the opportunity. I have had the pleasure of working alongside so many great people, from my staff and co-workers to our coaches and of course the players. More than anything, I am going to miss those daily interactions.
"However, I do believe the time is right for me and for my family to step away and take some time off. This was not an easy decision, but one that I have put much thought into and I appreciate the organization’s support and wish them all the best in the future. I am so proud of what we have been able to achieve together. To bring the Lombardi Trophy to Philadelphia this year was an amazing experience and I believe we have built a strong foundation that the team can continue to build on for years to come.”