Fletcher Cox won't be suspended after all.
The NFL was reportedly looking into possibly suspending the Eagles' Pro Bowl defensive tackle for his block on 49ers' Joe Staley during Jalen Mills' pick-6 on Sunday. On the play, Cox blocked the offensive tackle and Staley suffered a broken orbital bone and got a gash under his eye.
Well, on a conference call Tuesday morning, the NFL's Joe Lockhart said the league is not suspending Cox (or Kiko Alonso for his hit on Joe Flacco).
That's obviously good news for the Eagles; Cox has been playing very well since returning from a calf injury that kept him out against the Chargers and Cardinals. He's second on the team with 4½ sacks, even with missing two games. He also has nine tackles, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He's a big reason why the defensive line is humming right now.
The TV angle on the hit made it tough to see and even Doug Pederson said he had a hard time seeing much on the coach's tape.
Even though Cox wasn't suspended, it doesn't mean a fine won't be coming his way. But with the $100 million contract he signed last year, he'll be able to afford it.
The Eagles couldn't afford to lose him and now they won't.