Two days after adding Nicklas Grossman, Paul Holmgren still wasn't happy with his club's blue-line depth.
The Flyers have agreed to send second- and fifth-round picks in 2012's draft to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for veteran defenseman Pavel Kubina. In the midst of his 14th NHL season, Kubina turns 35 in April, and is finishing out the back end of a two-year, $7.7 million contract.
Standing at 6-4, 250, Kubina adds another imposing figure to the lineup. An All Star in 2004, he has three goals and eight assists this season while averaging nearly 20 minutes a night. Tim Panaccio describes Kubina's style of play:
Kubina is a puck moving defenseman who fits the genre the flyers have moved to in recent years with Europeans who can get out of their own end quickly while using their skating ability to avoid trouble.
Panotch also notes Kubina has 100 blocked shots this season, which puts him fourth on the team behind only Matt Carle and Kimmo Timonen, and now Nicklas Grossman, who notched three blocks to get to 103 on the season today.
Because Kubina puts the Flyers at 51 contracts, they must lose a player in their system to finalize the move.
Whether a blockbuster trade (Rick Nash?) is still on the way remains to be seen, but it sure looks like they will not be dealing for a big-name defender.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
CAMDEN, N.J. -- The first matchup between the oversized point guards will have to wait.
Ben Simmons will not face off against Giannis Antetokounmpo, who is sidelined because of soreness in his right knee, in the Sixers' Saturday evening game against the Bucks. Antetokounmpo is averaging 28.2 points, 10.1 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.3 blocks per game this season.
That’s not the only absence.
Jerryd Bayless, who had started in place of JJ Redick (leg), is out with a sore left wrist. Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot gets the nod at shooting guard.
“It’s another opportunity to show up and make some shots and prove that I can do that,” Luwawu-Cabarrot said at shootaround, also noting he has to play tough defense on Eric Bledsoe (17.7 points per game).
Reigning Rookie of the Year Malcolm Brogdon will also miss the game because of a personal matter, per the Journal Sentinel. Brogdon beat out Joel Embiid and Dario Saric for the award last season.
Markelle Fultz (right shoulder) remains out. He worked on free throws, driving drills, and knocked down a jumper in the portion of shootaround available to the media.