It was a nasty day in South Philadelphia with a cold rain and a hot St. Louis team putting a damper on opening day festivities for 44,000 Phillie faithful.
The Phillies dug themselves an early hole and found themselves down 10-0 in the 4th. It was a hard day to pay intricate attention to the game on the field, but the scoreboard and the weather dictated the mood of the entire stadium.
Jimmy Rollins came up in the bottom of the eighth with 2 outs, his hitting streak on the line. 3 straight pitches way out of the strike zone brought boos from those still toughing out the wet cold rain in hopes of seeing J-Roll extend his chances of putting his name on the level of the all time greats. Jimmy ripped the 3-0 pitch down the line and Citizens Bank Park became jubilant, at least for a few minutes.
Jimmy's base hit, along with blasts from Howard and Burrell, were lone moments of excitement for a soggy bunch of baseball fans.
The good news: the Phillies have 161 left to get on the right track and Jimmy still has a chance at history.
Also, Albert Pujols is a beast. BEAST.
-Phillies get flattened in opener [Philly.com]
-Rollins hit streak reaches 37 games, Cards spank Phils [ESPN, with video highlights]
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Despite coming off an 11-20 season, Saint Joseph's was picked to finish third in the Atlantic 10 preseason poll released this week.
It's the highest the Hawks have been picked to finish since 2012-13 when they were the preseason favorite.
St. Joe's went just 4-14 in the conference last season after winning the A-10 with a 13-5 conference record the previous year. The Hawks have won the A-10 twice in the last four seasons.
Phil Martelli enters his 23rd season as head coach, and he has all five starters coming back. The Hawks lost some key players last season. Shavar Newkirk was averaging 20.3 points per game until he tore his ACL in the conference opener. Lamarr Kimble was averaging 15.5 points and leading the team in assists when he fractured his foot in February.
Newkirk was named to the preseason All-Conference Second Team; Kimble and Charlie Brown Jr. were third-teamers.
St. Joe's begins its season on Nov. 11 at Toledo, with the Hawks' home opener coming the following Saturday, Nov. 18 against Princeton.