Your browser does not support iframes.
The Reading Phillies name change to the Reading Fightin Phils was greeted with mixed results. But one thing nobody can argue with is the fact that real live ostriches are awesome. And they're going to have a pair at the stadium if you go check out a Fightins game this summer.
Here's what the Fightins website has to say about the birds:
Fans can now experience and learn about farming and these unique
animals from Africa just by attending a Fightin Phils game," said
Fightin Phils General Manager Scott Hunsicker. "We hope that families
can fall in love with both farming and baseball from the allure of these
Honoring the newfound struthious logo of the Fightin Phils, the
ostriches will celebrate Berks County's long-lasting farming connection
like no other minor league team has ever done.
They're both females. So let's hope the crazy hot dog vendor guy doesn't get too close to them when they're in heat.
Fans can submit names for the new duo. I suggest naming at least one of them "Enrico."
>>Area's Farming Heritage to be Celebrated by Live Ostriches
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
The online petition to ban Pete Morelli from officiating Eagles games is rapidly gaining signatures.
Count Malcolm Jenkins for one.
"I would definitely sign that petition if it came across my desk," Jenkins said with a laugh to NBC Sports Philadelphia's John Clark on Monday at the safety's Blitz, Bow Ties and Bourbon charity event.
The Eagles beat the Panthers, 28-23, last Thursday night despite a significant discrepancy in penalty yards. It was a game officiated by Morelli's crew — and you can see why that's notable by clicking right here.
"We felt like a lot of those were ticky-tack, or weren’t good calls," Jenkins said after the game. "For us, adversity is nothing new for us. We just kind of strap up and keep playing, and hunker down. We continue to play aggressively, that is the biggest thing. We don’t want that to take away our aggression, or our ability to make plays. So we just go to the next play."
What about the next signature?
Eagles fans just need to get that petition to Jenkins' desk.