If you haven't checked out the Berks Phillies Fans website, you are missing out. It's pretty hard to find good, honest writing on the Phillies these days. Phillies.com is pretty much a joke and provides very little of value in my opinion. I've found the most entertaining and insightful stuff on the Phillies to be in the world of blogs.
Who wouldn't love to see Ryan Howard on the roster? Mr. Weitzel makes some good points in his post from yesterday below.
Link: Berks Phillies Fans: Phils-Nats series wrap.
Finding a spark ... in Scranton
I’m surprised and happy most fans have held off clamoring for Ryan Howard this season, but I’ll admit I got my first big itch yesterday, and I'm not sure it's going away.
With men on first and second, Charlie Manuel brought in pinch hitter Jose Offerman to hit for Myers in the eighth. Just a single would put the Phils on top, and a home run would put the Nationals away for good.
So far this season, Offerman is hitting .176 and has no RBIs. He struck out looking to end the inning.
It’s time to at least consider the idea of bringing up Howard. The team's biggest problem is their lack of power, bad news for a team built around the home run. They're near the bottom of the league in home runs and isolated power. Howard can deliever all of the above. Plus, he’s good PR and gives fans a new reason to tune in.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
The online petition to ban Pete Morelli from officiating Eagles games is rapidly gaining signatures.
Count Malcolm Jenkins for one.
"I would definitely sign that petition if it came across my desk," Jenkins said with a laugh to NBC Sports Philadelphia's John Clark on Monday at the safety's Blitz, Bow Ties and Bourbon charity event.
The Eagles beat the Panthers, 28-23, last Thursday night despite a significant discrepancy in penalty yards. It was a game officiated by Morelli's crew — and you can see why that's notable by clicking right here.
"We felt like a lot of those were ticky-tack, or weren’t good calls," Jenkins said after the game. "For us, adversity is nothing new for us. We just kind of strap up and keep playing, and hunker down. We continue to play aggressively, that is the biggest thing. We don’t want that to take away our aggression, or our ability to make plays. So we just go to the next play."
What about the next signature?
Eagles fans just need to get that petition to Jenkins' desk.