At Wednesday night's NHL awards ceremony in Las Vegas, no Philadelphia Flyers won league awards. Malkin's the MVP. Lundqvist the Vezina. Landeskog the Calder. Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette were short of their respective paydirt. [Full list of winners]
And yet, there's still something to celebrate tonight and enjoy for the upcoming season. Claude Giroux will grace the cover of EA Sports' NHL 13.
More, plus video of the presentation below.
Call me easily swayed by marketing gimmicks directed squarely at me, but I'm gonna buy the NHL game for the first time since NHL 10. And yes it's pretty much entirely because G is on the cover.
More important than that, a Flyer won a league-wide fan vote. Go ahead with your bit about how they have to settle for this because they didn't win a Cup and he's not the MVP and blah blah blah. Go ahead about how it's just a popularity contest. Of course it is.
Claude Giroux is one of the most popular players in the league right now, and everyone in Philly knows and can celebrate why—he's just getting started.
Of course, if everyone didn't already want a piece of him, they will now. Right Schenner?
Congrats to @28CGiroux on winning the #NHL13Cover. Can't wait to beat u at ur own game
20 Jun 12
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
The online petition to ban Pete Morelli from officiating Eagles games is rapidly gaining signatures.
Count Malcolm Jenkins for one.
"I would definitely sign that petition if it came across my desk," Jenkins said with a laugh to NBC Sports Philadelphia's John Clark on Monday at the safety's Blitz, Bow Ties and Bourbon charity event.
The Eagles beat the Panthers, 28-23, last Thursday night despite a significant discrepancy in penalty yards. It was a game officiated by Morelli's crew — and you can see why that's notable by clicking right here.
"We felt like a lot of those were ticky-tack, or weren’t good calls," Jenkins said after the game. "For us, adversity is nothing new for us. We just kind of strap up and keep playing, and hunker down. We continue to play aggressively, that is the biggest thing. We don’t want that to take away our aggression, or our ability to make plays. So we just go to the next play."
What about the next signature?
Eagles fans just need to get that petition to Jenkins' desk.