The Flyers snapped a good road stretch by losing to the Avalanche in Denver last night, 2-1. Danny Briere scored the team's lone goal on the power play in the second, but the 'Lanche netted two that period as well. Marty Biron stopped 30 of the 32 shots that came his way, marking only the second time in his last seven starts that he allowed fewer than three.
A quick look at the schedule shows some good news, however. Western road trips can be hell for players, with fatigue and jet lag playing at least a minor role, especially late in games. The good news? The Flyers' long-distance travel is already done for the season, which isn't even half over yet. After that 9 PM start last night, all the remaining games start at 7:30 or before, and none are more than a 3-hour flight from Philly (most are closer). The early road trips were definitely a challenge, but the Flyers have to be flying home today relieved that the worst of the travel is over. That and they don't have to play again until Tuesday against Crosbaby and the Pens.
Highlights from last night after the jump.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
If anyone knows about an underdog from Philadelphia finding that storybook ending, it's Sylvester Stallone.
The man who personified the Philly attitude as Rocky Balboa posted a message to Eagles fans on his social media.
Sly is wearing a custom "Stallone" Eagles jersey in the video and tells viewers he's a diehard Birds fan. He shouts out the great Timmy Brown as his favorite player as a kid.
"I got the ring, I got the jersey, I got the will, I've got the optimism that the Birds are going to fly triumphant over Philly tonight!" Stallone says.
"Keep punching, Philly."
The original Rock also shared an image of the Rocky Statue near the Art Museum decked out in Eagles gear.
"Now here is a statue that REALLY knows how to dress like a WINNER!!!!! I have tremendous respect for Tom Brady and the Patriots, but “… It’s about how much you can TAKE and keep moving forward! That’s how WINNIN’ is done!!!!” EAGLES BY KNOCKOUT!!!," the caption says.