The Eagles put a wrap on their final practices of the offseason on Thursday. The next time the players take the field will be at Lehigh for training camp. Rookies and selected veterans report five weeks from now on July 22nd, with the full squad joining them July 25th.
There aren't many loose ends to tie between now and then. First-round pick Fletcher Cox remains unsigned, but that shouldn't linger into camp. Otherwise, the Eagles escaped workouts without suffering any more major injuries, so whatever additional business is carried out over the next month will likely be limited to swapping one camp body for another.
This is the calm before the storm, so to speak.
It's always great when the team finally comes out of their bubble at the NovaCare Complex. While the structure of a normal offseason was especially comforting after the lockout erased those programs a year ago, for months we've been tantalized by reporting on players in gym shorts.
Soon enough, we'll get to see for ourselves. Whether you make the trek to Bethlehem, or just catch some preseason action on TV, you start to get a better sense for how good a team really is once they start hitting.
We know many of you aren't excited just yet -- and to hell with the ones who won't be at all -- but we are really looking forward to the coming football season. Expect the Birds chatter to pick up around here a little more as we countdown to Lehigh.
Sneak peak: I think Philly has a contender.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Oh man, oh man, oh man. It's finally here. The 2017-18 Sixers season is underway with our squad locked in a pretty tightly contested game down in Washington after a quarter of play.
We've already seen Joel Embiid attempt to destroy the world -- and get fouled.
But the most buzzed about moment from the first frame of the Sixers' young season was clearly when Markelle Fultz went to the foul line and... well, tossed up some ugly bricks.
This isn't the first time we've seen this but it is the first time non-preseason Sixers fans are seeing it. We wondered aloud if the Sixers were doing the right thing with Fulz prior to tonight's game. The lack of information on his injuries is troubling. So what's the deal with that form?
Well, Twitter had a field day with it.
Although Fultz's shoulder looked perfectly fine on this delicious block! He also had a couple of early buckets.
It's a long season, rook. Just please work on that free throw motion.