Eagles

After signing 1-year extension, Jason Peters expects to retire as an Eagle

After signing 1-year extension, Jason Peters expects to retire as an Eagle

As Jason Peters returned to the NovaCare Complex this week for mandatory minicamp, the future Hall of Famer expressed his desire to retire as an Eagle.

After signing a one-year extension, Peters is convinced that's going to happen. 

"Yes," Peters said just off the field Wednesday. "No doubt.

"I don't think I'm going to go that much longer. Three-year extension. I'm going to give them everything I've got."

Peters, 35, is coming off his ninth Pro Bowl season and seventh with the Eagles. In recent history, it's been very rare for great Eagles to end their careers in Philadelphia (see story), but now that Peters is locked up through 2019, he has a real chance. 

His one-year extension, which includes an $8 million signing bonus and is worth $32.5 million over three years with $15.5 million guaranteed, according to a league source, offers him more contract stability, something he admitted he wanted earlier this week.

Does Peters think he'll play out all three years on his deal? 

"I'm year-to-year. I feel good," he said. "I feel like I got more than three years. But it's just a three-year extension and I'm going to keep going, trying to chase a ring."

Last season, Peters was able to play all 16 games thanks to the way his health was managed by first-year head coach Doug Pederson. Peters estimated the coaching staff saved him from taking over 200 extra reps throughout the season. It led to a bounce-back year for the Pro Bowler. 

Peters arrived in Philadelphia in 2009 after five seasons in Buffalo. He entered the league as an undrafted tight end from Arkansas but has built an impressive Hall of Fame résumé as an offensive tackle. He's been a Pro Bowler in nine of the last 10 years, missing just 2012, when an Achilles injury forced him to miss the season. 

The personal success Peters has achieved in the NFL is undeniable, but team success hasn't followed. 

He never made it to the playoffs with the Bills and has been to the playoffs just three times with the Eagles, suffering wild-card losses in 2009, 2010 and 2013. Peters has never won a playoff game, but he's hoping Carson Wentz will be his ticket to get a ring. While he couldn't say if he'd want to stick around if Wentz hadn't arrived, having a franchise quarterback certainly provides some stability. 

What does he think about his chance to win a Super Bowl? 

"I think it's good," he said. "We've got a good team this year. Good quarterbacks, good skill position, good line, good defense. We got a good chance. We just got to put it in place Week 1."

Peters' signing an extension will obviously push back the date for when Lane Johnson ultimately takes over his post at left tackle. But Peters said he'd be willing to move to guard at some point if the team wanted him to and Pederson brought up that same possibility earlier in the day (see story)

For now, having Peters at left tackle and Johnson at right is their best bet. While the Cowboys' offensive line is considered to be the best unit in the league, Peters thinks his offensive line is close. 

"We're right there with them," Peters said. "We don't have a lot of first-round picks, but we're right there tit-for-tat with them."

Peters made sure to thank Eagles owner Jeff Lurie several times on Wednesday. He has an extremely close relationship with the billionaire owner, saying the two are "best friends." 

While Peters and Lurie could be cast on a TV remake of "The Odd Couple," Peters seems indebted to the man who brought him to Philly and pushed to make sure he stayed here. Peters said the two talk about football and life. 

Those conversations will get to continue at the facility for another few years. And maybe Peters really will get to retire as an Eagle. 

Why is he so loyal to Philadelphia? 

"The fans, the organization," Peters said. "The fans deserve a Super Bowl, playoffs, make the Linc rock, get home-field and go from there. Like I said, the city of Philly deserves it."

Eagles LB Joe Walker named Ed Block Courage Award winner

usa-joe-walker-eagles-defense.jpg
USA Today Images

Eagles LB Joe Walker named Ed Block Courage Award winner

Eagles linebacker Joe Walker, who missed all of last year with a serious knee injury, has been voted by his teammates this year's Eagles recipient of the prestigious 2017 Ed Block Courage Award. 

Walker joins such hallowed names in Eagles history as Andre Waters, Kevin Turner, Correll Buckhalter, Chad Lewis and Jason Avant in receiving the award, given annually to a player on each team who shows a commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage on and off the field.   

Walker, a seventh-round pick out of Oregon in 2016, suffered a knee injury the second week of training camp last summer but bounced back to make the 53-man roster this year and has played in all six games for the 5-1 Eagles.

With Jordan Hicks hurt in the second half Thursday night in Charlotte, Walker played a career-high 13 snaps on defense against the Panthers. He's played 53 special teams snaps this year.

Ed Block was the Colts’ trainer from 1954 through 1977 after earning a Purple Heart in the Army under General Patton in the tank corps in World War II.

The 32 Ed Block Courage Award winners will be honored at the annual Ed Block Courage banquet in Baltimore this spring.

For more information on the program, go to www.EdBlock.org.

Here is a list of all the Eagles’ Ed Block Courage Award winners since the inception of the program in 1984: 
 
2017     Joe Walker
2016     Nolan Carroll
2015     Fletcher Cox
2014     Jeremy Maclin
2013     Jason Kelce
2012     Colt Anderson
2011     Mike Patterson
2010     Jason Avant
2009     Michael Vick
2008     Jon Dorenbos
2007     Montae Reagor
2006     Jerome McDougle
2005     Chad Lewis
2004     Derrick Burgess
2003     Correll Buckhalter
2002     Shawn Barber
2001     Duce Staley & Tommy Brasher
2000     Cecil Martin
1999     Mike Mamula
1998     Bobby Taylor
1997     Rhett Hall
1996     Kevin Turner
1995     Charlie Garner
1994     Fred Barnett
1993     Andre Waters
1992     Jerome Brown
1991     David Alexander
1990     Ron Solt
1989     Mike Quick
1988     Wes Hopkins
1987     Gerry Feehery
1986     Jody Schultz
1985     Ron Jaworski
1984     John Spagnola

Despite raising bar in 2017, Philadelphia won't host 2018 NFL draft

usa-roger-goodell-nfl-draft.jpg
USA Today Images

Despite raising bar in 2017, Philadelphia won't host 2018 NFL draft

The City of Philadelphia did an incredible job hosting the 2017 draft.

And it still wasn't enough to keep it. 

The NFL has announced the 2018 draft will be held in the Dallas Cowboys' home, AT&T Stadium. Dallas — or technically Arlington, Texas — will be the third city to host the draft in three years, following Chicago and Philly. 

It has been rumored for months that Jerry Jones had his city as the favorite to host the next draft. Turns out those rumors were right. 

Good luck topping what Philly did in 2017 though. 

“Philadelphia raised the bar by taking the Draft to another level, and this new opportunity in Dallas will enable us to continue the event’s evolution and grow it even further,” commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “We are grateful to the Dallas Cowboys, the cities of Arlington, Dallas, and Frisco, and the Dallas Sports Commission for their leadership in turning this vision into reality.” 

The 2018 draft will begin on April 26. The NFL's release said the draft site will include the field, stands and outdoor plazas. 

According to the NFL, at the 2017 draft, a record 250,000 fans attended the three-day event along the Ben Franklin Parkway. The estimated economic impact for the city was $94.9 million. 

“The Draft was a family-friendly event for Philadelphians and visitors across the country,” Mayor Jim Kenney said. “I thank all of our public and private partners, especially the City employees and first responders, who made this event a success and allowed Philly to shine in the national spotlight once again.”

Aside from the numbers, the draft in Philly was aesthetically pleasing. The television shots from the Parkway were gorgeous and the vibe around the entire event was special. 

Things went so well, NFL Senior Vice President of Events Peter O'Reilly said the draft in Philly was a "resounding success." 

It won't be coming back in 2018, but the next time it does, the city will be ready.