Eagles

Eagles Inactives: The return of Bennie Logan

Eagles Inactives: The return of Bennie Logan

Bennie Logan is back. 
 
Logan was questionable heading into the weekend, but will play and start Sunday against the Falcons. 
 
Logan was playing at a very high level before he hurt his groin in the Washington game. He has missed the Eagles' last three games and Beau Allen has filled in. During his three-game absence, his fellow defensive tackle Fletcher Cox didn't have a sack. 
 
Among the other players listed as questionable, Brent Celek (ribs), Leodis McKelvin (hamstring) and Trey Burton (hamstring) are all active. Taylor Hart (ankle) is inactive.
 
Guard Allen Barbre (hamstring) and safety Terrence Brooks (hamstring) are both inactive and were ruled out heading into the game. Linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill (hamstring) is inactive after being listed as doubtful. 
 
Veteran Stefen Wisniewski will start in Barbre’s place. 
 
Also inactive are OL Dillon Gordon, OL Josh Andrews, and DE Steven Means. 
 
Celek suffered a fractured rib during the Giants' game, but claimed all week he would play. The 10-year vet has missed just one game during his long NFL career — in 2012 with a concussion. 
 
“I mean, it hurts, it’s pain,” Celek said Thursday. “But pain is pain. I can live with it. As long as it doesn’t kill me, make me stronger.”
 
McKelvin is still dealing with the same hamstring injury he's had since Week 2. He suffered a setback during the week, which led to his questionable status heading into the weekend. A few days after the Giants' game, in which he said the hamstring bothered him, he compared it to a manual car that wouldn't let him get into gear. 
 
Grugier-Hill will miss his third straight game with a hamstring injury. He was listed as doubtful coming into the game. At least he was able to finally practice this week. 
 
Cornerback Aaron Grymes, who was just added to the 53-man roster, is active and will have at least a role on special teams Sunday. He is a former CFL All-Star who stood out during training camp, but was sidelined with a shoulder injury for the beginning of the season.

Falcons inactives: CB Desmond Trufant, S Sharrod Neasman, RB Tevin Coleman, RB Stevan Ridley, G Wes Schweitzer, TE Jacob Tamme, DL Cliff Matthews.

That means the Falcons are without their best corner, backup running back and starting tight end. All three were ruled out earlier in the week.

Eagles LB Joe Walker named Ed Block Courage Award winner

usa-joe-walker-eagles-defense.jpg
USA Today Images

Eagles LB Joe Walker named Ed Block Courage Award winner

Eagles linebacker Joe Walker, who missed all of last year with a serious knee injury, has been voted by his teammates this year's Eagles recipient of the prestigious 2017 Ed Block Courage Award. 

Walker joins such hallowed names in Eagles history as Andre Waters, Kevin Turner, Correll Buckhalter, Chad Lewis and Jason Avant in receiving the award, given annually to a player on each team who shows a commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage on and off the field.   

Walker, a seventh-round pick out of Oregon in 2016, suffered a knee injury the second week of training camp last summer but bounced back to make the 53-man roster this year and has played in all six games for the 5-1 Eagles.

With Jordan Hicks hurt in the second half Thursday night in Charlotte, Walker played a career-high 13 snaps on defense against the Panthers. He's played 53 special teams snaps this year.

Ed Block was the Colts’ trainer from 1954 through 1977 after earning a Purple Heart in the Army under General Patton in the tank corps in World War II.

The 32 Ed Block Courage Award winners will be honored at the annual Ed Block Courage banquet in Baltimore this spring.

For more information on the program, go to www.EdBlock.org.

Here is a list of all the Eagles’ Ed Block Courage Award winners since the inception of the program in 1984: 
 
2017     Joe Walker
2016     Nolan Carroll
2015     Fletcher Cox
2014     Jeremy Maclin
2013     Jason Kelce
2012     Colt Anderson
2011     Mike Patterson
2010     Jason Avant
2009     Michael Vick
2008     Jon Dorenbos
2007     Montae Reagor
2006     Jerome McDougle
2005     Chad Lewis
2004     Derrick Burgess
2003     Correll Buckhalter
2002     Shawn Barber
2001     Duce Staley & Tommy Brasher
2000     Cecil Martin
1999     Mike Mamula
1998     Bobby Taylor
1997     Rhett Hall
1996     Kevin Turner
1995     Charlie Garner
1994     Fred Barnett
1993     Andre Waters
1992     Jerome Brown
1991     David Alexander
1990     Ron Solt
1989     Mike Quick
1988     Wes Hopkins
1987     Gerry Feehery
1986     Jody Schultz
1985     Ron Jaworski
1984     John Spagnola

Despite raising bar in 2017, Philadelphia won't host 2018 NFL draft

usa-roger-goodell-nfl-draft.jpg
USA Today Images

Despite raising bar in 2017, Philadelphia won't host 2018 NFL draft

The City of Philadelphia did an incredible job hosting the 2017 draft.

And it still wasn't enough to keep it. 

The NFL has announced the 2018 draft will be held in the Dallas Cowboys' home, AT&T Stadium. Dallas — or technically Arlington, Texas — will be the third city to host the draft in three years, following Chicago and Philly. 

It has been rumored for months that Jerry Jones had his city as the favorite to host the next draft. Turns out those rumors were right. 

Good luck topping what Philly did in 2017 though. 

“Philadelphia raised the bar by taking the Draft to another level, and this new opportunity in Dallas will enable us to continue the event’s evolution and grow it even further,” commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “We are grateful to the Dallas Cowboys, the cities of Arlington, Dallas, and Frisco, and the Dallas Sports Commission for their leadership in turning this vision into reality.” 

The 2018 draft will begin on April 26. The NFL's release said the draft site will include the field, stands and outdoor plazas. 

According to the NFL, at the 2017 draft, a record 250,000 fans attended the three-day event along the Ben Franklin Parkway. The estimated economic impact for the city was $94.9 million. 

“The Draft was a family-friendly event for Philadelphians and visitors across the country,” Mayor Jim Kenney said. “I thank all of our public and private partners, especially the City employees and first responders, who made this event a success and allowed Philly to shine in the national spotlight once again.”

Aside from the numbers, the draft in Philly was aesthetically pleasing. The television shots from the Parkway were gorgeous and the vibe around the entire event was special. 

Things went so well, NFL Senior Vice President of Events Peter O'Reilly said the draft in Philly was a "resounding success." 

It won't be coming back in 2018, but the next time it does, the city will be ready.