FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets will be without their top wide receiver for the season.
Quincy Enunwa will be placed on injured reserve with a bulging disk in his neck that will likely require surgery, with a recovery time of 6 to 9 months. Coach Todd Bowles said Monday that Enunwa will seek a second opinion, and the injury is not considered career-threatening.
"They said it wasn't, but going forward, we'll see," Bowles said. "They said he should come out OK."
Enunwa, projected as the Jets' No. 1 receiver, was hurt Saturday night during practice at MetLife Stadium. Bowles said the injury initially appeared similar to the one that held Enunwa out during spring workouts.
With Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker cut during the offseason, it appeared Enunwa would be given the opportunity to lead an inexperienced receiving corps. He has 80 career catches for 1,172 yards and four touchdowns over two seasons.
"He was a big part of it," Bowles said of Enunwa's role on offense. "Our young guys are just going to have to grow up fast" (see full story).
Dolphins: Landry investigated for possible battery
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry is being investigated for possible domestic battery, officials said Monday, an allegation the player's girlfriend called a fabrication.
A spokesman for the Broward County State Attorney's office said Monday in an email the allegations were under review and no decision has been made on whether Landry will be charged.
The case was recently referred to prosecutors by the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. A heavily-redacted police report is dated April 1, but Landry's girlfriend said in a statement released by his sports management firm the incident occurred in March.
Estrella Cerqueira, who is the mother of Landry's daughter, said in the statement that the couple had a "vocal disagreement" but that she never felt physical threatened and that nothing violent took place. She said someone else she did not identify called police.
"I would like to make it very clear that Jarvis would never, ever do anything to harm me or anyone else," Cerqueira said.
"Jarvis and I are happily raising our beautiful daughter and I would like to make a plea to the media that they refrain from spreading this completely false story," she added (see full story).
Jaguars: Albert reportedly reverses course on retirement
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A person familiar with the situation says Jacksonville Jaguars left tackle Branden Albert has changed his mind about retiring and asked to return to the team.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Monday night because neither side has publicly discussed details about Albert's potential return.
The 32-year-old Albert surprised coach Doug Marrone last week by walking into his office and saying he planned to retire. Albert abruptly quit after three training camp practices in which he looked out of shape and past his prime.
It was never clear why Albert chose to walk away after nine NFL seasons. It's equally unclear why Albert wants to return. Under the collective bargaining agreement, the Jaguars had the option to seek a prorated portion of Albert's $8.5 million signing bonus even though Miami paid it in 2014.
Browns: Osweiler to start preseason opener
BEREA, Ohio -- Brock Osweiler has risen from trade throw-in to preseason starter.
The Browns' never-ending quarterback saga has produced yet another surprise.
Cleveland coach Hue Jackson picked Osweiler over Cody Kessler, rookie DeShone Kizer and Kevin Hogan to start Thursday's exhibition opener against the New Orleans Saints in what will be an important stage in a QB competition that's midway through its second week, with no end in sight.
Jackson said he chose Osweiler primarily because he's got NFL experience and he wants to give both Kessler and Kizer more playing time.
"It's best for me to trot Brock out there, see if he can go lead this offense and lead the team and in the process keep getting these young guys more reps," Jackson said following Monday's practice. "They just need to play. DeShone needs to play more. Cody needs to play more and Kevin needs to play more, and I thought this is the way to do it" (see full story).
NFL: DT Wilfork retires with BBQ advertisement
Former New England and Houston defensive tackle Vince Wilfork announced his retirement from the NFL in a barbecue commercial on Monday, a fitting farewell for a big guy who loved to eat.
Wilfork tweeted a video showing him un-taping his ankles, hanging up his cleats and grabbing grilling tongs. The video then shows the 35-year-old defender dancing, cooking ribs and smoking a cigar while wearing his trademark overalls.
"No more cleats," he says. "I'm moving on to smoke meats, fellas. Peace out. I'm outta here. Later."
The video ends by noting that "Vince's Farewell Tailgate" will take place Sept. 7 in New England. The defending Super Bowl champions open the season that Thursday night against Kansas City.
Wilfork played 13 NFL seasons, including the last two in Houston. He said earlier this summer he was contemplating retirement after the Texans declined to offer him a new contract.
Wilfork was drafted by New England in 2004 and anchored the Pats' defense line for 11 seasons. He was named to five Pro Bowls and helped the Patriots win two Super Bowls.