Two giveaways that led to easy goals, another defensive lapse that allowed one of the most dangerous players in the game in alone on Ilya Bryzgalov, and an opposing goalie who made stop after stop; It was not the Flyers night.
It's hard to knock Bryz for the Malone and St. Louis goals, but should he have been a little more vigilant on the awful turnover by Matt Carle? Steve Coates on the postgame seems to think Bryz needs to stay tight to the pipes until all is clear. Just a real bad couple of bounces.
Beautiful goals from Wayne Simmonds and Matt Read off of pretty assists from Brayden Schenn and Kimmo Timonen respectively helped the Flyers fight back, and a Scott Hartnell slapper with just over a minute to play gave the Flyers a fighting chance, but old man Dwayne Roloson made some really tough saves to help the lowly Tampa Bay Lightning leave Philadelphia with a pair of points leaving the Flyers stuck in place.
The loss wasn't for a lack of effort, the Flyers outshot Tampa like crazy all game long, but a couple of really bad turnovers proved to be fatal.
After the game, Matt Carle stepped up and took the blame for the loss, even going so far as apologizing to his teammates and the fans. His late turnover was inexcusable, but it was just one play in a game with plenty of bad ones.
Props to Carle for shouldering this one, even if it obviously wasn't all on him. Perhaps it can be a positive takeaway to pull the team together.
Here are the full highlights complete with lowlights:
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
You absolutely hate to see it.
That's how the sports world felt Tuesday night when Celtics small forward Gordon Hayward suffered a gruesome leg injury during the NBA opener against the Cavaliers at Quicken Loans Arena.
The injury, which is graphic, can be seen here. Hayward has been diagnosed with a fractured left ankle.
Instantly, an outpouring of support spread across the NBA.
Here is some reaction from Sixers players:
Eagles rookie Sidney Jones knows about tough injuries. He's recovering from a torn Achilles tendon.
And the terrible injury produced some powerful scenes and images.