2013 is the final year on Phillies manager Charlie Manuel's current contract. Many have thought the organization bringing in Ryne Sandberg to be a bench coach this season is the first step in finding Cholly's successor. But Charlie's not ready to hang up the cleats just yet.
He talked to Tracy Ringolsby for the Phillies website and said he's not ready to retire, wants to continue managing, and is basically just tired of having to answer questions about his future. It's the kind of stuff you'd expect him to say.
But then there's Charlie talking about his physique.
He's been through his flirtations with major illness. From 1998-2000
he suffered a heart attack, underwent a quadruple bypass and suffered
from kidney cancer and a ruptured colon.
At the age of 69, however, he hasn't been slowed down a bit in the past decade.
"I'm in better shape now than I was when I came to work over here," he said.
And right now, he's expecting to continue working in Philadelphia, this year and beyond.
So, Charlie Manuel is in mid-season form.
Hopefully we'll get more of this during games this summer at Citizens Bank Park.
>>Manuel's plans do not include retirement [Phillies]
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Oh, you thought we here in Philadelphia were special? You thought Bud Light liked Eagles fans more than they liked Vikings fans?
Bud Light likes fans who purchase their beer.
But yes, Bud Light did make a special little promo for Eagles fans playing off their "Dilly, Dilly!" campaign that for some strange reason many people seem to like. And get this, it uses "Philly, Philly!"
Because it rhymes.
You can watch that right here and the three other spots they made for the Viking, Patriots, and Jaguars below. The Patriots' one is probably the best.