Dave Zangaro

Eagles in contact with the White House about possible visit

ap-whitehouse.jpg
AP Images

Eagles in contact with the White House about possible visit

After winning Super Bowl LI, the Patriots visited the White House on April 19, 2017. 

You might have noticed that April 19 has come and gone this year and there hasn’t been much talk of the Super Bowl champion Eagles visiting the relatively new home of President Donald Trump. 

But on Monday, the New York Times reported that discussions about a possible Eagles trip to the White House have begun.

The Eagles confirmed that report with the following in a statement: “We have been in contact with White House representatives and are currently discussing the logistics of an upcoming visit to Washington. We are honored to receive this invitation and view this not only as an opportunity to be recognized for our on-field achievements, but also as an opportunity to engage in productive dialogue with the leaders of our country."

This is the first time the Eagles have publicly spoken about a trip to the White House and the first time they’ve revealed they have been invited. When asked about the possible trip last month at the annual league meetings, Eagles owner Jeff Lurie didn’t seem very eager to speak about the topic. 

“We just won the Super Bowl,” Lurie said in Orlando last month. “I haven’t had any of those discussions. I have no idea. It’s just … I haven’t had those discussions.” 

The idea that the visit to the White House could be an opportunity for dialogue is an interesting one. Normally, these things are pretty much photo opportunities, but perhaps that’s part of the discussion. 

As you might guess, an Eagles trip to the White House is a pretty tricky trip to figure out. 

The Eagles have several players — Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Long, Torrey Smith — who have already said publicly that they wouldn’t attend. And last year when the Patriots won, Long and LeGarrette Blount were not among the group that went. Aside from that, Lurie, who donated money to Hilary Clinton’s presidential campaign, is considered one of the more liberal owners in the league. 

“We have been in conversations with the Eagles about timing and are working with them to make it happen,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, via the New York Times. “We hope to have something finalized in the next couple of weeks.”

According to the New York Times story, Lurie had strong criticism for Trump at a private league meeting last October as owners, players and executives met weeks after Trump scolded the NFL and players, which brought more league-wide protesting during the national anthem. During those meetings, Lurie described Trump’s presidency as “disastrous” and reportedly used a vulgarity to emphasize that opinion. 

This is not the first time an Eagle has had harsh words for Trump. Last September, Jenkins said Trump was “no different than a troll on social media.” 

The Eagles are the first Super Bowl-winning team after Trump’s attacks on the league and its players who had chosen to demonstrate during the national anthem. Last September, Trump said, “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!’”

The week after Trump made those comments, protests became more wide-spread throughout the league, with entire teams demonstrating and showing unity. The Eagles — players, coaches and executives, including Lurie — locked arms as the Star-Spangled Banner was performed. 

Former Eagle Daryl Worley signs with Raiders

usa-daryl-worley.jpg
USA Today Images

Former Eagle Daryl Worley signs with Raiders

A week after the Eagles released him, Daryl Worley has reportedly found a new home.

The 23-year-old cornerbacks signed with the Raiders Monday afternoon.

Worley was arrested early on the morning of Sunday, April 14 when he was found passed out in his vehicle near the NovaCare Complex. Less than 12 hours after being arrested, the Eagles released Worley, who is being charged with six different offenses. After being released, Worley cleared waivers.

Despite the Eagles’ abrupt decision to cut Worley, the Raiders obviously feel comfortable enough to sign him.

Worley’s new home will be in Oakland, but he does have a preliminary hearing set in Philadelphia for May 1.

Worley was the return from the Panthers in the trade for Torrey Smith earlier this offseason. He grew up in North Philadelphia and the trade was a chance for him to play for his hometown team, but Worley lasted just one month and one day with the Eagles.

Michael Bennett's arraignment rescheduled for May

Michael Bennett's arraignment rescheduled for May

We’ll have to wait a little longer for the next bit of news in the Michael Bennett case. 

While Monday was originally supposed to be a preliminary hearing date for the felony injury to the elderly charge against Bennett, court records show the date has been pushed back. 

Earlier this month, the arraignment date was rescheduled for May 18 at 9:30 a.m. 

That new arraignment date will be creeping close to the start of OTAs for the Eagles. OTAs are scheduled to begin on May 22. (May 22-24, May 31-June 1, June 4-7). Bennett was acquired in a trade with the Seahawks this offseason, so this would be his first chance to practice with his new teammates and in a new defense. 

Bennett, 32, is facing a felony charge for injuring a 66-year-old paraplegic female worker last Feb. 5 after Super Bowl LI in Houston. Bennett’s lawyer Rusty Hardin has vehemently denied his client is guilty in the slightest. 

“He just didn’t do it,” Hardin said to NBC Sports Philadelphia last month (see story).

After announcing the charges, Houston police chief Art Acevedo called Bennett “morally bankrupt.” Last week, Eagles safety and Bennett’s friend Malcolm Jenkins, said he thought it sounded like police were trying to make an example of Bennett. 

According to court documents, the defense has issued subpoena applications for several companies, requesting documents and items, including video from security cameras in the southwest tunnel of NRG Stadium. The Houston police chief, when he announced the charge, said there was no video of the incident.