Gareon Conley

Source: Eagles, other NFL teams, believe Gareon Conley is innocent

Source: Eagles, other NFL teams, believe Gareon Conley is innocent

Don't rule out the possibility that the Eagles select cornerback Gareon Conley with the 14th pick in tonight's NFL draft.

A league source has told CSNPhilly's Derrick Gunn that the Eagles, and a number of other NFL teams, have investigated the sexual assault accusation facing Conley and believe he is innocent.

The former Ohio State captain was named in a police report detailing an alleged assault on April 9, but no information has been forwarded to prosecutors. The woman's attorney told Cleveland.com that she is traumatized and wants charges filed.

Conley has vehemently denied the allegation, and his attorney Kevin Spellacy told Cleveland.com that his client will speak with police and provide a DNA sample on Monday. 

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

NFL Notes: Gareon Conley claims rape allegations are 'completely false'

NFL Notes: Gareon Conley claims rape allegations are 'completely false'

CLEVELAND -- Former Ohio State football star Gareon Conley says he plans to skip attending the NFL draft in person on Thursday and decried allegations that he raped a woman as "completely false."

No charges have been filed as police investigate claims made by a 23-year-old woman that he assaulted her in a Cleveland hotel on April 9. Conley was named in a police report that details the allegations but no information has been forwarded to prosecutors.

Conley said in a statement Wednesday that he believes the allegations are an attempt to ruin the draft experience for him and his family.

The woman told police Conley raped her in the bathroom of a hotel room after they met in the elevator and she agreed to go back to his room.

Conley's attorney says the cornerback, projected to be a first-round pick, plans to speak with police about the incident after the draft.

Raiders: Marshawn Lynch comes out of retirement
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Marshawn Lynch is coming out of retirement after agreeing on a two-year deal with the Raiders that paved the way for a trade to his hometown team in Oakland.

Lynch passed a physical Wednesday and agreed to a restructured two-year contract. Those were the final steps needed before Seattle could trade his rights along with a 2018 sixth-round pick to the Raiders for a 2018 fifth-rounder.

NFL Network said Lynch would get a $3 million base deal this season, with a chance to make an additional $2 million if he rushes for at least 1,000 yards.

Lynch had been slated to make $9 million this season if he came out of retirement. With Seattle unwilling to pay that amount and Lynch only wanting to play for the Raiders, finalizing a trade was simple once Oakland was able to re-do Lynch's contract.

Lynch also must apply to the NFL for reinstatement from the retired list before he can play with the Raiders (see full story).

Packers: Veteran OL Jahri Evans signs
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers have signed veteran offensive lineman Jahri Evans as they look to fill a hole up front left by the departure of free agent-right guard T.J. Lang.

Terms of the agreement were not announced Wednesday by general manager Ted Thompson.

The 33-year-old Evans joins the Packers following 11 seasons in New Orleans, where he played 169 regular-season games since being drafted in the fourth round in 2006. The 169 games are the most played by an active NFL offensive lineman in that span.

After blocking for Drew Brees in New Orleans, the durable Evans figures to be the favorite to replace Lang after the Pro Bowl guard signed with the Detroit Lions last month.

Evans has been voted to six Pro Bowls.

Jets: 5 players waived to trim roster on eve of draft
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets have waived running back Brandon Burks, wide receiver Darius Jennings, long snapper Josh Latham, linebacker Jeff Luc and defensive lineman Julien Obioha.

The team announced the moves Wednesday as it trims its roster on the eve of the NFL draft.

The Jets, who have 76 players under contract, have seven picks in the draft -- including No. 6 overall. Teams can carry up to 90 players on their rosters until training camp, when there are cuts to 75 and then 53 to start the regular season.

Burks was active for the Jets' season finale and had two carries for minus-4 yards.

Obioha spent last season on injured reserve, while Jennings was on New York's practice squad late in the season.

Luc signed a reserve-future deal in January. Latham was signed in February.

Giants: Manning attorneys say he didn't provide fake memorabilia
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey -- Attorneys for New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning are trying to convince a judge that the dealers suing the two-time Super Bowl MVP tried to pressure him to settle a memorabilia lawsuit by releasing select notes that weren't related to the disputed goods.

Emails released by the court on Wednesday were part of a motion seeking sanctions and legal fees against one of the plaintiffs' attorneys after he released an email from Manning in 2010 that seemed to indicate he provided fake memorabilia rather than authentic game-used goods.

Manning angrily denied those allegations last week.

The lawsuit revolves around two pieces of equipment: a backup Super Bowl helmet from 2012 and another from the 2007-2008 season.

The memorabilia dealers suing Manning released a note sent by Manning to team equipment manager Joe Skiba, asking for two helmets that "can pass as game used," (see full story).

Projected first-round pick Gareon Conley accused of rape

Projected first-round pick Gareon Conley accused of rape

Projected first-round pick and possible Eagles target Gareon Conley has been accused of rape.

Spokeswoman Kathleen Caffrey of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office told The Associated Press the April 9 encounter is still being investigated by police.

Attorney Kevin Spellacy told Cleveland.com the allegation is "ridiculous and ludicrous." 

No charges have been filed, and no arrests have been made. 

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Conley has decided to not attend the draft in Philadelphia. He was previously on the list of players who would attend.  

The Eagles obviously have a great need at cornerback and Conley, from Ohio State, is widely considered to be one of the top cornerback prospects in the draft. Some consider him to be the second-best prospect after his college teammate Marshon Lattimore. 

The timing of this allegation will make it tough for NFL teams to complete their own investigations of what might have occurred. The NFL draft will start on Thursday night, which leaves little time to investigate. Last year, a video of Laremy Tunsil smoking out of a gas mask appeared just before the start of the draft and the offensive lineman dropped to the 13th pick. 

NFL teams, the Eagles included, put a lot of stock into their own investigations. 

"Each case, you have to judge individually," Eagles VP of football operations Howie Roseman said last week when asked about Joe Mixon. "You gotta do your research, you gotta go through the whole process. We talked about having an unbelievable security team led by Dom (DiSandro). And so we get all the information and we make the decision."

The Eagles might not have enough time to gather all the information in regard to Conley. 

TMZ was the first to report the story.