Must-win? Well, not literally anyway, but considering how poorly the
team performed in Chicago on Tuesday, the chances of them being able to
win a Game Seven in Chicago after blowing a 3-1 series lead don't seem
spectacular. No, the team would be significantly better off winning
tonight and letting that be that. It might involve scoring 70 points (or
more!), but hey, sometimes you just need to put your head down as a
team and, uh, score 20 points a quarter.
I'm still a little too nauseated from the last game to talk about keys
to the game and who needs to do what or what have you, so instead I'll
just leave this message for our esteemed coach Doug Collins—just play
Jrue and Evan the whole way. (Well, minus some rest minutes, but you
know.) Don't play Jodie Meeks as a floor-spacer for extended stretches,
don't ride the hot hand with Lou Williams—just ride or die with The
Extraterrestrial and The Damaja. Nobody in Philly really cares all that
much about this series anyway—we'd like to win, sure, but we realize the
stakes are still fairly low at this point—but we want to see a glimpse
of what could be the future, and frankly, at this point I'd rather go
down swinging with Jrue and Evan than squeak by on the backs of 'Dre and
Sour Patch Lou. (Maybe. Toss-up.)
7:00 tip from the Wells Fargo Center. Let's win a basketball game tonight, guys—preferably with our best players. It would make everything so simple.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Another old friend is joining the Phillies' coaching staff as a guest instructor in Clearwater this spring.
Bobby Abreu will make his coaching debut, while Larry Bowa, Brad Lidge, Charlie Manuel, Dan Plesac and Mike Schmidt will all be back to assist in spring training.
Gabe Kapler has a lot of experience on his side as he prepares for his first camp as a major-league manager.
Abreu was a polarizing player in these parts, drawing criticism from fans for a perceived lack of hustle and not nearly enough praise for hitting .303/.416/.513 in his nine seasons with the Phils. He was one of the most complete players in the game during his peak from 1998 to 2006.
The Phillies' first workout with pitchers and catchers is Feb. 14 in Clearwater. Full-squad workouts begin on Feb. 19.