Hunter Pence and Cliff Lee kicked off things on the Phillies left coast swing in a big way last night. Pence handled the bulk of the offensive duties, blasting his first homer as a Phillie to the tune of 447 feet, while Clifton Phifer tossed his fifth shutout of the season
The pitching duties this evening will fall on Vance Worley (7-1, 2.33) who has been surprisingly fantastic as of late. He's also taken a liking to the Twitter, signing up under the name Vanimal_49. Worley has been answering plenty of fan questions directed towards him, and we've learned he's real into muscle cars, Chevy's specifically. Cars in his collection include a 1968 Camaro RS, a 1990 Camaro RS, a 1999 Camaro SS, and a 2007 300C SRT8. "All cars modded," of course.
He'll go up against Jonathan Sanchez (4-5, 3.81) for the Giants. Sanchez will be making his first start in over a month. He's been out with bicep tendinitis. He got hit around a bit in last year's NLCS and lost one of his two games he started against the Phils in that series.
Hunter Pence must be loving his time in Phillies uniform, mostly because he hasn't lost a game wearing it yet. The Phillies have gone 6-0 with Pence in the lineup. Sadly, that streak will likely have to come to an end at some point.
Another late 10:15 EST start from San Fran this evening. But don't fret, two afternoon games tomorrow and Sunday.
Position Title: Intern
Company: NBC Sports Philadelphia
# of hours / week: 10 – 20 hours
Deadline: November 20
This position will work closely with the Vice President of Sales in generating revenue through commercial advertisements and sponsorship sales. The intern will gain first-hand sales experience through working with Sales Assistants and AEs on pitches, sales-calls and recapping material.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Account Executive on preparation of Sales Presentations
• Cultivate new account leads for local sales
• Track sponsorships in specified programs
• Assist as point of contact with sponsors on game night set up and pre-game hospitality elements.
• Assist with collection of all proof of performance materials.
• Perform Competitive Network Analysis
• Update Customer database
• Other various projects as assigned
1. Good oral and written communication skills.
2. Knowledge of sports.
3. Ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends & holidays
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
5. Must be 19 years of age or older
6. Must be a student in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, Master or Juris Doctor degree
7. Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US
8. Must have sophomore standing or above
9. Must have a 3.0 GPA
Interested students should apply here and specify they're interested in the ad/sales internship.
About NBC internships
Joel Embiid said plenty with his words on Tuesday afternoon when he called the decision to have a minutes restriction in the teens to begin the season "f-----g BS."
He also sent a message with his fresh new look.
Jojo showed up to practice on the eve of the Sixers' season with a new hairstyle -- some cornrows remeniscent of the last great Sixer to captivate the city of Philadelphia.
No, not Andrew Bynum.
We're talking about Allen Iverson.
"I had the old hairstyle for a long time so I just wanted something new," Embiid said. "I know my mom won't be happy but it's only for a couple of days."
Robert Covington saw a resemblance, "Everybody was shocked. Told him he’s going to be the new AI.”
Was he inspired by somebody? Anybody?
"I just wanted something new, something crazy. I never do anything crazy, so..."
"I think it looks okay," Embiid, always his toughest critic, said.