Capitals

Agent says Colts assistant out of hospital

201301061158431131496-p2.jpeg

Agent says Colts assistant out of hospital

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) The agent for Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Wednesday night that his client has been released from an Indianapolis hospital and that they are finalizing details to begin interviewing for head coaching jobs.

Earlier in the day, a league source familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that doctors were still trying to determine the extent of a health problem that forced one interview to be pushed back.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because details of Arians' illness have not been made public by the team.

Mike Brown, Arians' agent, denied there had been any change to Arians' schedule.

Arians, a 60-year-old prostate cancer survivor, has been complaining of dizziness and migraine headaches, conditions doctors believe is related to an inner-ear infection, the person told the AP.

Five NFL teams are looking for head coaches. The Colts have given at least three teams permission to speak with Arians: the Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles.

The San Diego Chargers are also believed to be interested in Arians. They hired Tom Telesco, Indy's vice president of football operations, as their new general manager on Wednesday.

Arians took over the team after head coach Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia in September.

Under Arians, the Colts went 9-3 and clinched their first playoff berth of the post-Peyton Manning era. The nine victories tied the NFL record for most wins after a midseason coaching change and immediately created speculation about Arians' future plans as well as the possibility of him winning the league's coach of the year award.

Pagano returned for the final week of the regular season and shared a bear hug with Arians, a longtime friend after an emotional win over Houston.

But when Arians showed up for Sunday's team breakfast in Baltimore, he said he felt ill and was taken to the hospital. Quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen called the plays in Arians' absence, a late adjustment that made a bigger impact than anyone acknowledged after the game.

``It's a big deal that Bruce got ill out there, it really is,'' the person told the AP. ``It's not a side note. It's a major happening, it's major adversity that you have to deal with.''

Arians was released from a Baltimore hospital on Monday evening after his blood pressure stabilized, but has been under doctor supervision since then. He was medicated for the return flight to Indianapolis and taken immediately to an Indy hospital by ambulance, the person said.

Pagano, rookie quarterback Andrew Luck and other Colts players have repeatedly said they would like Arians to stay in Indy, though they understand why he would leave for another team. But they certainly didn't want a health problem derailing what could be Arians' last best chance to fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming an NFL head coach.

Arians has said he will listen to other offers, though he is happy in Indianapolis. The Colts are expected to give him a pay raise and a new job title if he returns next season.

Clearly, things weren't the same without Arians during Sunday's 24-9 loss to the Ravens.

``I don't think people realize how unsettling all that was for Andrew (Luck),'' the person said. ``As a rookie in a playoff game, to all of a sudden have Bruce gone. That's the guy who is talking in your ear, and then you're in the playoffs and all of a sudden that's gone. It's a big deal.''

Arians has mentored the likes of Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and now Luck. He won two Super Bowls as an assistant in Pittsburgh, served on Paul ``Bear'' Bryant's staff at Alabama and has had a big part in two of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history - the 10-game improvement of the 1999 Colts and Indy's nine-game improvement this year.

His only previous head coaching experience came during a six-year tenure at Temple in the 1980s.

Quick Links

Team USA reclaims women's hockey gold from Canada in instant Olympic classic

usa-women.jpg
USA TODAY Sports Images

Team USA reclaims women's hockey gold from Canada in instant Olympic classic

GANGNEUNG, South Korea  -- The Americans' gold medal drought in women's hockey -- finally -- is over.

Even though they needed the first shootout in an Olympic women's final to do it.

Twenty long years after taking gold when the sport debuted in 1998 at Nagano, the United States snapped Canada's streak of four straight Olympic golds Thursday with a 3-2 shootout victory.

Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson scored in the sixth round of the shootout to start the Americans piling over the boards, throwing gloves in the air before huddling and hugging on the ice.

Gigi Marvin and Amanda Kessel also scored in the shootout. Monique Lamoureux-Morando tied it up with a breakaway with 6:21 left in regulation.

Hilary Knight also had a goal.

RELATED: WHICH WINTER OLYMPIANS REPRESENT THE D.M.V?

Maddie Rooney made 29 saves for the win against their archrival. The 20-year-old goalie stopped the last two Canadian shooters in the shootout in Brianne Jenner and then Meghan Agosta on her second attempt.

It was sweet redemption for the 10 Americans who watched the Canadians snatch gold from their hands in 2014 at Sochi after tying it up with 54.6 seconds left in regulation and winning 3-2 in overtime.

Not only did the Americans snap the Canadians' stranglehold on Olympic gold, they ended a skid of five straight against their rival coming into this game, including a 2-1 loss to wrap up pool play a week ago.

Marie-Philip Poulin and Haley Irwin each scored goals for Canada. Agosta and Melodie Daoust scored in the shootout.

The Americans had been dominating in non-Olympic years, winning the last four and eight of the last 10 world championships, including a 3-2 overtime victory over Canada last spring.

Their domination on the world stage only made the lack of gold at the Olympics all the more noticeable, and Canada has been in their way since losing the inaugural gold in Nagano. Canada had won 24 straight Olympic games to go along with four consecutive gold medals. It's a streak of success in a women's team sport second only to the United States' basketball team's current streak of six straight gold.

This was the eighth time these North American rivals met in the Olympics and the fifth with gold on the line. None of the previous seven were decided by more than two goals.

U.S. coach Robb Stauber went with the 20-year-old Rooney in net for the biggest game of her career, but she was the goalie for each of the three games the Americans beat Canada last fall during their pre-Olympic exhibition tour, including Four Nations Cup title in November.

Canada had Shannon Szabados, 31, in goal for her third Olympic gold medal game, and her teammates made her job very easy by keeping the puck in front of Rooney for most of the first period by dictating play. The Americans couldn't use their speed or get organized even with two power plays until Sarah Nurse went in the box for interference late in the period.

Knight gave the U.S. a 1-0 lead with 25.4 seconds left in the first, redirecting a shot from Sidney Morin through Szabados' pads giving the Americans a jolt of energy.

That lasted only 2 minutes into the second when Irwin tipped a pass from Blayre Turnbull over Rooney's left leg for Canada. When Morin lost the puck, Melodie Daoust grabbed it and passed to Meghan Agosta who hit Poulin for the wrister into the left side of the net at 6:55 for a 2-1 lead.

 

Quick Links

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

WASHINGTON  -- The Washington Nationals say they have agreed to a one-year deal with 40-year-old reliever Joaquin Benoit.

The team announced the move Wednesday, along with placing pitcher Joe Ross on the 60-day disabled list as he recovers from Tommy John surgery in July.

The Nationals didn't release terms of the agreement, though a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Monday that it was for $1 million.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't official at the time.

MORE NATIONALS: FULL 2018 SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE

Benoit is a right-hander who first reached the big leagues in 2001. 

He has played for eight teams, finishing last year with Pittsburgh.

He has 764 career appearances, going 58-49 with a 3.83 ERA and 53 saves.

RELATED: 2018 MLB BETTING ODDS