Quick Links

Bronchitis sends Norris to the disabled list


Bronchitis sends Norris to the disabled list

BALTIMORE – Bud Norris joins the cadre of Orioles on the disabled list. Because Norris has bronchitis and missed a start this weekend, he’s been placed on the disabled list retroactive to May 11. He’ll be eligible to pitch on May 26.

Norris, who is 1-4 with a 9.88 ERA in six starts, was sent back to the team hotel in New York on May 9, a day before his scheduled start at Yankee Stadium.

After he struggled through 3 1/3 innings on May 10, it was clear that Norris still wasn’t feeling well. Though he appeared to be better later in the week and played golf in a charity tournament with team officials and members of the Ravens last Thursday, Norris had a relapse later that night, and manager Buck Showalter said that he’s lost significant weight.

Tyler Wilson, who had been summoned on Saturday from Triple-A Norfolk, has been officially recalled. He’ll wear No. 63. Wilson is 2-4 with a 3.63 ERA with the Tides. In 2014, Wilson was named the Organizational Pitcher of the Year.

In other news, Hunter Harvey, the team’s No. 1 draft choice in 2013, visited orthopedist Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion and was given a Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injection in his right elbow. Harvey was told to rest for six weeks.

Harvey had an MRI last week on the elbow. In March, Harvey suffered an injury to his right shin, which had prevented him for pitching. The Orioles expect him to pitch this season.

The Orioles acquired minor league left-handed pitcher Chris Lee for Houston for two International Signing Bonus slots. Lee, who was the Astros fourth-round choice in 2011, is 3-2 with a 4.11 ERA for Class-A Quad Cities.

Norris is the eighth current Orioles player on the DL. He joins Matt Wieters, Everth Cabrera, Ryan Flaherty, Jason Garcia, Kevin Gausman and Jonathan Schoop. Wieters is on the 60-day disabled list, the others are on the 15-day.

Earlier this season, J.J. Hardy, David Lough and Jimmy Paredes were also on the disabled list.

RELATED: '60 Years of Orioles Magic' a terrific history

Quick Links

Orioles round out starting pitching rotation, finalize 4-year contract with Alex Cobb

USA Today Sports

Orioles round out starting pitching rotation, finalize 4-year contract with Alex Cobb

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Alex Cobb's comfort and familiarity with the AL East was the deciding factor in his decision to sign with the Baltimore Orioles.

"They used the AL East and the success I've had in it to their advantage," the 30-year-old right-hander said Wednesday after finalizing a $57 million, four-year contract. "They kept challenging me with it and I love the challenge of pitching in this division and they know that over the times we talked. They did a really good job of making me feel like this is where I need to be."

Cobb gets $14 million in each of the first three seasons and $15 million in 2021, and he would earn a $500,000 bonus in each year he pitches 180 innings. Baltimore will defer $6.5 million from this year's salary and $4.5 million in each of the next three seasons.

He gets $2 million of the deferred money on Nov. 30, 2022, and $1.8 million annually on Nov. 30 from 2023-32. If he doesn't pitch at least 130 innings in 2020, an additional $5.25 million of the final's year salary would get deferred, payable $1.75 million annually on Nov. 30 from 2033-35.


Cobb has a full no-trade this year, then can list 10 teams from 2019-21 that he cannot be dealt to without his consent.

He had spent his entire six-season big league career with Tampa Bay and was the last big-name starting pitcher available in a slow-moving free agent market. He joined Andrew Cashner and Chris Tillman, who were signed last month, in a revamped rotation that includes holdovers Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman.

Cobb was 12-10 with a 3.66 ERA in 29 starts last season. He pitched 179 1/3 innings in his first full year back after missing nearly two seasons because of Tommy John surgery.

He had turned down the Rays' $17.4 million qualifying offer in November, and Baltimore pursued him from the start of free agency.

"They didn't stop bothering me the whole offseason," Cobb said. "They were very persistent, and I think that you notice that confidence they have in you just by the way they speak to you and the questions you ask and not questioning anything that's gone on. Everyone's got flaws that they come with and potential things you could really harp on that might not be your strong suit, but they never went down that avenue. They always told me how much they like certain aspects of what I do on and off the field, and just kept repeating how well I fit in here."


Cobb is 48-35 with a 3.50 in six big league seasons. Baltimore will lose its third-highest draft pick, currently No. 51, and the Rays get an extra selection after the first round as compensation.

Jose Mesa Jr. was designated for assignment Wednesday to clear a roster spot.

Baltimore opens on March 29 at home against Minnesota, but Cobb won't be ready to pitch then. He has agreed to be optioned to a minor league affiliate to help build up innings.

"I'm going to be pushing it as quick as I can," Cobb said. "That's going to be up to them. They've invested in me for a four-year period and as much as we know how much every game matters even early in April, we're going to have to look out for the overall future of this whole thing and whole contract and whatever they determine to be the way to protect me and my feedback from the bullpens I'm going to be throwing here in the next few days will probably determine the timeline."

Quick Links

Orioles agree to one-year deal with pitcher Chris Tillman, according to reports

USA Today Sports

Orioles agree to one-year deal with pitcher Chris Tillman, according to reports

SARASOTA, Fla. -- A person familiar with the negotiations says pitcher Chris Tillman and the Baltimore Orioles have agreed to a $3 million, one-year contract.

The deal includes performance bonuses, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday because the deal had not yet been announced.

Tillman was 1-7 with a 7.84 ERA in 19 starts and five relief appearances last year. He would be the second starter added by the Orioles in the past week after right-hander Andrew Cashner.

Tillman likely would join right-handers Dylan Bundy, Kevin Gausman and Cashner in the rotation.

The 29-year-old right-hander lives in Sarasota and had been working out at the Orioles' facility before spring training. Manager Buck Showalter watched Tillman throw and was impressed.

Tillman began last season on the disabled list with right shoulder stiffness.

"Better than he did last year at this time. I think he's got the chance to pitch well for somebody this year," Showalter said. "A lot of the challenges he had last year -- this time last year -- aren't there. Somebody's going to reap the benefits."

Tillman's is 73-55 with a 4.43 ERA in nine major league seasons, all with the Orioles. He won 16 games in both 2013 and 2016.

"He's a guy when he's healthy you can bank on him giving you 200 innings and keeping his ERA between a 3 and a 4," Gausman said. "That in the AL East is always going to be very valuable."