Orioles

Quick Links

Jimenez tries to forget horrid first start against Braves

usatsi_9142348_141983962_lowres.jpg

Jimenez tries to forget horrid first start against Braves

SARASOTA, Fla. – Special attention has been paid to Ubaldo Jimenez in spring training in his time with the Orioles. He signed in the early days of camp in 2014, and after a rough first year, had a closely examined March in 2015.

Attention must be paid again.

Jimenez didn’t make it out of the first, retiring just one of the seven batters he faced. He allowed three hits and walked three, and all six scored in the Orioles’ 11-4 loss to the Atlanta Braves before 5,984 at Ed Smith Stadium on Wednesday.

The day began with the Orioles being introduced to their spring fans, and as South Korean outfielder Hyun Soo Kim trotted out, manager Buck Showalter bowed to him. Kim laughed.

Kim was again hitless in six at-bats, and Showalter said he would play him again on Thursday in Port Charlotte against Tampa Bay.

Shortly after the bow, Jimenez bowed out quickly, throwing just 34 pitches.

“He got his pitches in, we were hoping for two he just happened to get his pitch count in in one inning. Actually, a third of an inning,” Showalter said.

Showalter doesn’t want to get concerned about spring. He’ll throw this one out.

“I might throw out the second one too, depending on the field and the conditions. I don't pay a lot of attention to it right now,” Showalter said.

“What I’m most interested in is his first start in Baltimore. Cuz that’s when it starts. I trust him. He’s been around. He’s pitched a lot of innings. He’s been a healthy horse for a long time and we expect him to be again, take the ball very fifth day. There’s something to be said about that. My most interest is when the bell rings.”

MORE ORIOLES: UBALDO CAN'T MAKE IT OUT OF FIRST

Atlanta manager Fredi Gonzalez joked that he was taking “the baby Braves” to Sarasota.

Over the winter, Atlanta sent Shelby Miller to Arizona, and in return, the Braves received pitcher Aaron Blair, who started and shortstop Dansby Swanson. They also got outfielder Ender Inciarte.

Swanson, last year’s top pick in the draft and Ozzie Albies, a 19-year-old prospect from Curacao, both came along. They played the entire game and switched between short and second.

The Baby Braves scored seven runs in the first with young outfielder Mallex Smith tripling twice in the inning. He ended up with four hits, and was a single short of the cycle.

Smith homered off Brian Matusz and Albies hit one against Andy Oliver.

Atlanta had an 8-0 lead after 1 ½. Odrisamer Despaigne, who tried to bail Jimenez out in the first, allowed two runs and walked three. The Orioles walked 10 batters.

Jimenez, who had an equally forgettable first outing in the initial game of spring training a year ago, wants to forget about it.

“It doesn’t look pretty at all, but I think I feel good because my arm feels really good. I was able to work on the things I wanted to. Even before the game. I wanted to throw my changeup and my curve, and I started to throw my split and slider for today and that’s what I did,” Jimenez said.

On Mar. 3, 2015 in the Orioles’ 15-2 loss in Lakeland to the Detroit Tigers, Jimenez lasted 1 1/3 innings, and gave up six runs on just two hits.

“I even feel better than last year, the first one that I had last year. Mechanically I’m feeling good and I went to the mound and I wasn’t thinking about mechanics. I was thinking about throwing inside with the fastball and working on the curve and changeup that I didn’t use a lot last year,” Jimenez said.

The Orioles scored four runs against Blair in the second. Jonathan Schoop hit a two-run home run to left and Chris Davis smacked a long home run to center.

That ball didn’t stop rolling until it landed at second base of a practice field the Orioles use far beyond the stadium.
Blair was impressed.

“If I execute my pitch, that doesn’t happen,” Blair said. “To a guy with that kind of power, that ends up a long, long way away.”

NOTES: Zach Britton made his spring debut, pitching a scoreless fourth. … Efren Navarro, who refused an outright assignment to Norfolk, has signed a minor league contract with Seattle. … Miguel Gonzalez pitches for the Orioles on Thursday against Tampa Bay’s Erasmo Ramirez in Port Charlotte.

Quick Links

Orioles Spring Training Schedule 2018

machado_spring_training.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

Orioles Spring Training Schedule 2018

Live baseball is close to gracing our television screens again. The Orioles haven't had the most active offseason, to put it mildly. Fans are still wondering who will make up more than half the spots in this year's rotation, and Manny Machado's upcoming free agency is looming over every decision the organization makes.

Still, it's exciting to be able to follow the team again. Not every game is televised, so get ready to constantly refresh your favorite beat writer's Twitter account for all your updates.

Even without getting to watch the games, it'll be comforting to once again check box scores in the morning to see if Jonathan Schoop is building on his breakout season, or if top-prospect Austin Hays is all he's cracked up to be (spoiler: he is).

This year's spring training will be especially interesting, considering how many big-name players will be signing in the next few weeks. The O's haven't yet made a big splash this offseason, but with the sheer volume of capable players still on the market, you have to wonder if they'll try to sign some impact players at bargain values.

Typically, the excitement of adding a new piece to the lineup or rotation has to be reignited after a long winter off, but this season, those additions will be taking place while camp is already underway.

It's going to be a hecticfew weeks as teams prepare for thier seasons, so bookmark this page to check on on the Orioles spring training schedule over the next few weeks as the team finally takes the field in 2018.

Orioles 2018 Spring Training Schedule

Friday, Feb. 23 (SS) - Rays at Orioles, 1:05 pm (MASN)
Saturday, Feb. 24 (SS) - Orioles at Phillies, 1:05 pm
Saturday, Feb. 24 (SS) - Twins at Orioles, 6:05 pm
Sunday, Feb. 25 - Orioles at Red Sox, 1:05 pm
Monday, Feb. 26 - Tigers at Orioles, 1:05 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 27 - Orioles at Rays, 1:05 pm
Wednesday, Feb. 28 - Cardinals at Orioles, 1:05 pm (MLBN) (MASN)
Thursday, Mar. 1 - Orioles at Rays, 1:05 pm
Friday, Mar. 2 - Pirates at Orioles, 1:05 pm
Saturday, Mar. 3 (SS) - Orioles at Phillies, 1:05 pm
Sunday, Mar. 4 - Red Sox at Orioles, 1:05 pm (MASN)
Tuesday, Mar. 6 - Orioles at Twins, 1:05 pm
Wednesday, Mar. 7 - Orioles at Rays, 1:05 pm
Thursday, Mar. 8 - Blue Jays at Orioles, 1:05 pm
Friday, Mar. 9 - Orioles at Blue Jays, 1:07 pm
Saturday, Mar. 10 (SS) - Pirates at Orioles, 1:05 pm
Sunday, Mar. 11 (SS) - Orioles at Red Sox, 1:05 pm
Sunday, Mar. 11 (SS) - Phillies at Orioles, 6:05 pm (MASN)
Monday, Mar. 12 - Orioles at Pirates, 1:05 pm
Tuesday, Mar. 13 - Orioles at Twins, 1:05 pm
Wednesday, Mar. 14 - Yankees at Orioles, 1:05 pm (MLBN) (MASN)
Thursday, Mar. 15 - Orioles at Cardinals, 1:05 pm
Friday, Mar. 16 - Orioles at Mets, 1:10 pm
Saturday, Mar. 17 (SS) - Blue Jays at Orioles, 1:05 pm
Sunday, Mar. 18 - Mets at Orioles, 1:05 pm
Monday, Mar. 19 - Orioles at Tigers, 1:05 pm
Tuesday, Mar. 20 - Rays at Orioles, 6:05 pm (MASN)
Wednesday, Mar. 21 - Orioles at Yankees, 6:35 pm
Thursday, Mar. 22 - Red Sox at Orioles, 1:05 pm (MASN)
Friday, Mar. 23 (SS) - Rays at Orioles, 1:05 pm
Saturday, Mar. 24 - Twins at Orioles, 6:05 pm
Sunday, Mar. 25 - Orioles at Phillies, 1:05 pm
Monday, Mar. 27 (in Norfolk, VA) - Orioles at Tides (AAA), 3:05 pm

Quick Links

Baltimore Orioles add to their rotation, sign RHP Andrew Cashner

cashner-usat.png
USA Today Sports

Baltimore Orioles add to their rotation, sign RHP Andrew Cashner

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Baltimore Orioles signed right-hander Andrew Cashner to a two-year, $16 million contract on Thursday after searching for starting pitching all offseason.

The 31-year-old Cashner is 42-64 with a 3.80 ERA in eight major league seasons with the Chicago Cubs, San Diego, Miami and Texas, including 11-11 with a 3.40 ERA for the Rangers last year. The deal with the Orioles has an option for 2020.

He'll join right-handers Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman in the rotation.

"I do know that they need some starting pitching, and here it is, show up every day and whoever I can help out, help out and my job is to come here and pitch and win," Cashner said.

Cashner's deal could be worth $41 million over three seasons if he pitches 200 innings annually. He gets a $3 million signing bonus, payable in equal installments each Jan. 15 from 2020 through 2021.

RELATED: VEGAS SETS OVER/UNDERS FOR 2018 MLB SEASON

Cashner has salaries of $5 million this season and $8 million in 2019, and there is a $10 million option for 2020 that would become guaranteed if he pitches 340 innings combined in the next two seasons. If he reaches 360 innings, it would become a player option.

He can make $5 million in performance bonuses each year.

There are $1,525,000 per season in bonuses based on starts: $250,000 each for 10 and 15, $625,000 for 20 and $400,000 for 30.

Cashner also can make $3,475,000 each year based on innings: $250,000 each for 110 and 120, $275,000 for 130, $350,000 for 140, $750,000 for 150 and $400,000 apiece for 170, 180, 190 and 200.

Cashner was at the Orioles' spring training facility, and was due to head to his Texas home for a few days before returning on Sunday when Baltimore's full squad is required to report. He'll likely work out with the team for the first time Monday.

He has little experience against the Orioles, but said he was excited to join the team.

"It's a lineup you can't really make a lot of mistakes against," Cashner said. "It's a lot of power in there, and I got to pitch (for) San Diego one year in Baltimore. Really cool stadium, really neat, a lot of history. It's one of my favorite places to pitch, so I'm looking forward to making that my home (stadium) every night."

RELATED: ORIOLES TO SHUFFLE UP INFIELD AHEAD OF MACHADO'S FINAL SEASON

Manager Buck Showalter said Cashner would be an ideal addition to the club.

"He's a veteran starter. That's a good deal for both us and him," Showalter said. "He's a guy who's pitched well in the American League. That's something that I think played in his favor."

Cashner said that he began negotiations with Orioles Vice President of Baseball Operations Brady Anderson last fall and in a challenging offseason for free agents, he said patience was vital.

"I don't think it's been difficult. It's been interesting. It's been different," Cashner said.

To make room for Cashner on the 40-man roster, Baltimore placed left-hander Zach Britton (Achilles) on the 60-day disabled list.