With the MLB postseason only five days away and three more days in the regular season the playoff field is almost set.
After Thursday night’s action, the St. Louis Cardinals were eliminated from the second Wild Card spot in the National League. Their 2-1 loss to the Cubs put them too far out of reach of the Rockies.
In the American League the AL East race is all but done after the Yankees lost on Thursday.
RELATED: NEW MLB BRACKET PROJECTION WITH ONE WEEK TO GO
Not too many changes in the American League race after yesterday.
The New York Yankees (89-70) lost to the Tampa Bay Rays 9-6 at home after entering the day only three games back in the division. While the Boston Red Sox (92-67) lost too, three games to surpass is too much for even the Bronx Bombers to overcome.
It will be interesting though to watch both teams sweat. Boston hosts the Houston Astros who are trying to overtake the Indians for the top seed in the AL. New York hosts division rivals Toronto.
The Minnesota Twins (83-76) lost to the Indians after allowing 10 hits in the contest. Win or lose it does not matter how they end the season because they will be the No. 5 seed and the visitors in the American League Wild Card Game. Presumably it will be against the Yankees.
AL WILD CARD RACE (AS OF SEPT 29):
New York Yankees: +6.0
Minnesota Twins: ---
Colorado was off on Thursday night in preparation for their final series of the year against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The Milwaukee Brewers (84-75) did manage to gain a half game with their nail biting 4-3 win over the Reds. Brett Phillips hit a go-ahead double in the sixth inning and the final three frames remained scoreless for both squads.
They now move to two games back of the Colorado Rockies (86-73) with three games to go.
Colorado will host their final series against the Dodgers. Milwaukee is traveling to the St. Louis Cardinals (82-77) for their final three games. St. Louis is now out of contention, four games out of the final Wild Card spot.
FanGraphs.com now has Colorado at a 93.3 percent chance of taking the final postseason spot. Milwaukee moved up slightly to 6.7 percent.
MORE NATS: WALK-OFF FOR THE NATS, COURTESY OF DE AZA
NL WILD CARD RACE (AS OF SEPT 29):
#4 Arizona Diamondbacks: +6.0
Colorado Rockies: ---
Milwaukee Brewers: -2.0