Orioles

Quick Links

Uncertainty as Orioles prepare for roster expansion

showalter.png

Uncertainty as Orioles prepare for roster expansion

ARLINGTON, Tex. – Roster expansion is just three days away, and Buck Showalter continues to be asked about it. When the Orioles return on Monday, they’ll make some final decisions.

Because Norfolk is in the playoff picture, the Orioles don’t want to plunder the Tides.

Chaz Roe, who has been on the disabled list since Aug. 10 is scheduled to be activated on Wednesday.

Showalter is eager to have Roe, “which is like getting another one without having to send anybody back down.”

RELATED: Orioles embrace local U.S. Little League champs

Mike Wright is scheduled for another rehab start on Tuesday, the day the rosters expand, but he’ll be added shortly after that.

Showalter and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette continue to talk about additions.

“I know what I would do. We’ll wait, as we get closer. With Dan, we met before we left and we’ll see what may have changed,” Showalter said.

Dariel Alvarez, who was going to be added is already with the Orioles.

The Orioles will add to the bullpen.

“We’ll probably take Chaz and at least one more, initially. Maybe more. I don’t know. We’ll see what Dan thinks when we get there,” Showalter said.

One name under consideration is Oliver Drake, who spent time with the Orioles earlier this season.

"He's under strong consideration. I want them to focus there and finish off a good season that a lot of those guys have had down there. Oliver's had as good of a statistical year as you want to see a reliever have. He's pretty glad we protected him. He's had that type of year,” Showalter said.

The Orioles could dip down to Bowie to take first baseman Trey Mancini, but the Baysox are in the playoffs, too.

Four outfielders currently with Norfolk have played for the Orioles this month, Junior Lake, David Lough, Nolan Reimold and Henry Urrutia, but it’s unlikely that more than two would be added. Non-roster outfielder Julio Borbon could make an appearance, too.

“If we do that, somebody's got to play in those playoffs. But I think we'll initially start serving what needs we have right away and then go from there. I think we'll be able to solve both needs, the needs of our club and the needs of Norfolk. That's what we're trying to do. But we're going to err on the side of Baltimore,” Showalter said.
 
MORE ORIOLES: Showalter thinks Wieters should be judged differently

Quick Links

Orioles bats stay silent against Cleveland

machado_indians.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

Orioles bats stay silent against Cleveland

BALTIMORE -- Mike Clevenger pitched a two-hitter in his first career complete game, and the Cleveland Indians hit three solo homers off Chris Tillman in a 4-0 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Saturday.

Jose Ramirez went 3 for 4 with his team-leading fifth home run. Yan Gomes and Yonder Alonso also went deep for Cleveland, which came into the game ranked second-to-last in the AL in runs and last in batting average.

Clevenger (2-0) hardly needed the offensive support. Pitching on seven days' rest, the right-hander struck out three, walked two and allowed only one runner past first base.

The only two hits he allowed were singles by Manny Machado in the fourth inning and Chance Sisco in the fifth.

It was Clevenger's 35th career start. His previous longest outing was 7 1/3 innings, earlier this month against Kansas City.

While Clevenger is unbeaten in 11 starts since July 31, Tillman has experienced an opposite fate. This was his 22nd straight start without a victory, dating back to his first outing last season.

Tillman (0-4) gave up four runs, eight hits and a walk in six innings. The three home runs were one more than he yielded in his first three starts this season.

Michael Brantley hit a run-scoring groundout in the first inning and Gomes connected in the fourth for a 2-0 lead.

The Orioles put runners on the corners with one out in the fourth, their lone threat against Clevenger, who responded by retiring Tim Beckham on a short fly to left and getting Anthony Santander to ground out.

Ramirez led off the sixth with a drive to left, and Alonso hit a two-out shot that landed on Eutaw Street beyond the right-field scoreboard.

Quick Links

Orioles pitching falls apart as Tigers complete sweep in Detroit

cobb_tigers.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

Orioles pitching falls apart as Tigers complete sweep in Detroit

DETROIT - Leonys Martin hit his first big league grand slam, Jeimer Candelario had four hits and three RBIs, and the Detroit Tigers beat Baltimore 13-8 Thursday to extend the Orioles' losing streak to six.

Jordan Zimmermann (1-0) gave up four runs and seven hits in 5 1/3 innings, allowing two home runs to Manny Machado and one to Chris Davis. Zimmermann was pitching for the first time since being hit in the jaw by a line drove off the bat of Cleveland's Jason Kipnis on April 11.

Alex Cobb (0-2) made his second start after signing a $57 million, four-year contract in spring training and his ERA rose to 15.43. He allowed seven runs - five earned - and 10 hits in 3 1/3 innings.

Machado had four RBIs for the Orioles, who were outhit 18-14 in the game and outscored 23-15 in the three-game sweep.

Victor Martinez hit an RBI single in the first, but Davis put Baltimore ahead with a two-run homer in the second, his sixth hit and fourth homer in 10 career at-bats against Zimmermann.

Detroit went ahead for good with four runs in the bottom half after third baseman Tim Beckham's throwing error allowed James McCann to reach base leading off. Jose Iglesias hit a two-run triple, Miguel Cabrera had an RBI single and Nick Castellanos a run-scoring groundout.

Machado's homer in the third cut Baltimore's deficit to 5-2, but Candelario's two-run homer extended the lead to 7-2 in the bottom half. Martin homered off Mike Wright Jr. in a five-run fifth.