Quick Links

Bullseye on CB Jimmy Smith


Bullseye on CB Jimmy Smith

Getting his first start of the season Sunday, Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith will have his work cut out.

Against the Houston Texans, he'll be facing one of the league's most potent but balanced offenses.

"Everybody knows that Andre Johnson is a top-ranked receiver in the league," said Smith, who will be filling in for Lardarius Webb who tore a knee ligament last week and is out for the season. "(Kevin) Walter, I think he's really, really good. He's been in the league for a long time and knows how to get the job done and they're both big, physical receivers."

Smith was challenged instantly against the Dallas Cowboys, when he came in for Webb who went down at the end of the first quarter. Tony Romo, however, never realized that Miles Austin had Smith beaten deep for what likely would've been a touchdown and instead threw to the opposite side of the field. But Smith also made his share of plays, too.

He has been bothered by an abdominal strain from the Cowboys game, and had limited practice participation Thursday.

At 6-foor-22 and 210 pounds, he's four inches taller than Webb and 30 pounds heavier, giving the Ravens a different look.

"'Webby is a smaller player, so comparing him to other corners is a little different because he's crafty in a sense that he'll be physical with you but he has such good feet and such good eyes and great balance and awareness that he can make those plays," Smith said. "A corner my size, we like to be more physical and stay closer to the receiver."
A 2011 first-round draft pick, Smith made just three starts as a rookie. The Texans run the ball with Arian Foster more than they pass, but quarterback Matt Schaub is capable of 300-yard games at any time.

Smith expects to get picked on by Schaub immediately.

"Absolutely. I'm a second-year corner," Smith said. "They're definitely going to attack me, but I've got to strap it on and be ready."

Quick Links

Ravens' Eric DCosta not ruling out taking a quarterback at No. 16

AP Images

Ravens' Eric DCosta not ruling out taking a quarterback at No. 16

And with the No. 16 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select.... a quarterback?

Assistant general manager, and soon to be general manager, Eric DeCosta isn't ruling out the possibility that the Ravens use their first-round pick on drafting a quarterback to eventually replace Joe Flacco. 

"I feel like if there is a guy there that we think is really too good to pass up, we're going to take him," DeCosta told the team's website on the chance of draft a quarterback in the first-round. 

Quarterback is just one of many offensive needs for the team. Joe Flacco's stats have been trending downward as the 33-year old is entering his 11th season.


Owner Steve Bisciotti though may disagree with DeCosta.

At his annual State of the Ravens press conference, Bisciotti said, "That’s not really something that we’re worried about right now. We’ve got bigger fish to fry, I guess. I don’t consider that a big worry," in regards to looking at life after Joe. Bisciotti also noted the team would be looking at all options in free agency and the draft for weapons for their QB.

From the sound of that, it appears the team's first choice would be a wideout, but the Ravens haven't drafted a quarterback since Joe Flacco back in 2008. 

The 2018 NFL Draft class has a handful of strong quarterbacks to choose from and not a ton of first-round wide receivers. 

Former Ravens scout, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has predicted the team with take Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield in the first-round. 

"It basically depends on our evaluation and how we feel about the guy, what we think he can become as a player and what we think his upside is and if he's there," DeCosta said

Backup Ryan Mallet is a free agent so the organization will have to find someone to fill the role, whether it's someone on a one year-deal, or the future QB of the franchise. 


Quick Links

Ravens sign Michael Crabtree to three-year deal

USA Today Sports Images

Ravens sign Michael Crabtree to three-year deal

The Baltimore Ravens have signed wide receiver Michael Crabtree to a three-year deal on Friday according to general manager and executive vice president Ozzie Newsome.

The deal is apparently worth $21 million, according to Adam Schefter.

After being released by the Raiders on Thursday following the signing of Jordy Nelson, Crabtree heads to the Ravens less than 24 hours later.


The 31-year-old is coming off a 2017 season when he recorded 58 receptions for 618 yards and eight touchdowns. In 2016 he posted 89 receptions for 1,003 yards and eight touchdowns.

Since 2015, the Texas Tech product has scored 25 receiving touchdowns, the fifth-most in the NFL. Crabtree and Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown are the only NFL players to post at least eight touchdown catches in each of the past three seasons.


In all, Crabtree has played nine NFL seasons – six of them with San Francisco (2009-14) and three with Oakland (2015-17). The former first-round draft pick (10th overall, Texas Tech) has registered 579 receptions for 6,870 yards (11.9 avg.) and 51 touchdowns in 125 career games (122 starts).

“Michael has played very well against the Ravens, so we know firsthand the attributes he brings to the game,” Newsome said in a team statement. “He is a smart, tough, physical receiver who battles for the ball. We like his temperament and believe he is a good fit for our football team, on and off the field.”

Since he entered the NFL in 2009, Crabtree’s 51 receiving scores rank 10th among active wide receivers, while his receptions (579) are seventh, and his receiving yards (6,870) are 12th.