Quick Links

Monroe expects better health, better season in 2015


Monroe expects better health, better season in 2015

For left tackle Eugene Monroe, the first step to having a better year would be having a healthier year.

Monroe missed five games last season with knee and ankle issues, and did not start the Ravens’ two playoff games. The Ravens are expecting a bigger contribution in 2015 from a player due to earn $5.5 million next season, and who is signed through 2018.

After reporting to mandatory minicamp in excellent shape, Monroe sounded driven to have his best season since being traded to the Ravens in 2015. When training camp begins in a few weeks, Monroe expects to be in the best shape of his career.

“I have my own trainer, so we developed a program pretty much based on everything I need,” Monroe said after a minicamp practice. “The most you can do is get your body to a point where you’ve done everything under the sun to ensure that you’re strong enough to prevent whatever injury may occur.”

Monroe is a key to the Ravens’ offensive front, still in his prime at age 28, and protecting the blindside of quarterback  Joe Flacco. With the starting offensive line returning intact, the unit has the potential to be one of the NFL’s best.

However, Monroe is focusing on results, not expectations. The Jaguars never made the playoffs during Monroe’s four-plus seasons in Jacksonville. Watching from the sidelines during the playoffs in January was a disappointment to Monroe. He wants another chance at the postseason, and next time, he intends to be healthy.

“We have a great group,” Monroe said of the offensive line. “We have everyone back, which is fortunate, so we’re just looking to build and be better than we were last year.”



Quick Links

Ravens sign Crabtree to three-year deal

USA Today Sports Images

Ravens sign Crabtree to three-year deal

The Baltimore Ravens have signed WR Michael Crabtree to a three-year deal on Friday according to general manager and executive vice president Ozzie Newsome.

The deal is apparently worth $21 million, according to Adam Shefter.

After being released by the Raiders Thursday following the signing of Jordy Nelson, Crabtree heads to the Ravens less than 24 hours later.


The 31-year-old is coming off a 2017 season when he recorded 58 receptions for 618 yards and eight touchdowns. In 2016 he posted 89 receptions for 1,003 yards and eight touchdowns.

Since 2015, the Texas Tech product has scored 25 receiving touchdowns, the fifth-most in the NFL. Crabtree and Steelers WR Antonio Brown are the only NFL players to post at least eight touchdown catches in each of the past three seasons.


In all, Crabtree has played nine NFL seasons – six of them with San Francisco (2009-14) and three with Oakland (2015-17). The former first-round draft pick (10th overall, Texas Tech) has registered 579 receptions for 6,870 yards (11.9 avg.) and 51 touchdowns in 125 career games (122 starts).

“Michael has played very well against the Ravens, so we know firsthand the attributes he brings to the game,” Newsome said in a team statement. “He is a smart, tough, physical receiver who battles for the ball. We like his temperament and believe he is a good fit for our football team, on and off the field.”

Since he entered the NFL in 2009, Crabtree’s 51 receiving scores rank 10th among active wide receivers, while his receptions (579) are seventh, and his receiving yards (6,870) are 12th.

Quick Links

Ryan Grant's health issue and why the Ravens couldn't control voiding his contract

USA TODAY Sports Images

Ryan Grant's health issue and why the Ravens couldn't control voiding his contract

The most obvious move in the NFL this offseason was the Ravens signing a new wide receiver (or three). It was less obvious why the team decided to commit so much money to former Redskins receiver Ryan Grant.

Grant has long been beloved by his coaches and teammates, but the results have never been there on game day. He has some potential to improve if given a larger role in a team's offense, which he likely would have had in Baltimore, but it never made much sense to offer him a 4-year contract worth nearly 30 million, with $14.5 million guaranteed.

Thankfully for fans who were uninspired by the reported agreement, Grant was unable to pass his physical and will not be joining the team.


At a press conference Friday morning, GM Ozzie Newsome called the void a "medical decision" that Newsome had no control over. 

NFL insider Ian Rapoport reported that Grant is recovering from a Grade 2 sprained ankle that would need two months rest.

You have to feel for Grant, who by all accounts has worked his tail off for many years just waiting for his chance. It's never easy missing out on nearly $15 million dollars guaranteed, but Grant should be able to find work with another team.

The timing of this news, coming so soon after former Raider Michael Crabtree became available, seemed fishy to some.

At Friday's press conference, Newsome also said the team would have still pursued Crabtree if they signed Grant. 

It's probably not fair to suggest that an NFL franchise would actually so publicly back out of a deal just because another option came along, as any team with that reputation would struggle to attract future free agents. That said, it could end up working out splendidly for the team.

Besides, if all else is equal, shouldn't a team located in Baltimore be going after a guy named CRABtree?