Quick Links

Reimold's home run propels Orioles to 3rd straight win

Reimold's home run propels Orioles to 3rd straight win

BALTIMORE – Nolan Reimold has never played a complete season in the major leagues. His career has been plagued with injuries, and wasn’t with the Orioles when they went to the postseason in 2012 and 2014. 

When the team made it to the ALCS two years ago, Reimold had briefly left the organization. He returned last year, and nearly three years after his second neck surgery, the 32-year-old has had a most productive few weeks for the Orioles. With all the team’s sexy new additions, Reimold has seemingly been overlooked, but he’s delivered some timely hits. 

On Friday night, Reimold hit a three-run home run that broke a 3-3 tie in the seventh inning, giving the Orioles their third straight win, 6-3 over the Chicago White Sox before 19,912 at Oriole Park. 

Matt Wieters and J.J. Hardy began the seventh with singles off Carlos Rodon (1-3). Reimold hit an opposite field home run just over the right field scoreboard, his third of the year, and the Orioles had a 6-3 lead. 

Manager Buck Showalter knows what a sound Reimold can bring. 

“I’m real happy for him because he’s been down a rough road. It’s a real tribute to him to persevere through this. And quite proud of the organization for sticking with him. He’s dialed up a lot of things that we’ve needed,” Showalter said.

In 2012, Reimold’s year was finished by the end of April and in 2014, he never played with the team. For all the hard work Reimold has put in, he’d love to see a payoff. 

“That’s the ultimate goal, team goal, to make the playoffs, win the World Series. It’s something that I’d really like to experience while I’m still playing. It definitely would be a big thing. I’d love to do that,” Reimold said.

Brad Brach (3-0) got the win. Darren O’Day and Zach Britton finished up, and Britton got his sixth save. 

The Orioles improved their home record to 9-1, and they did on another brisk night. 

“It’s nasty out there,” Showalter said. 

While he and the Orioles would like to play in some better weather, it appears they’ll have to wait for that. 

“It was like playoff weather, cold as it is right now. I prefer a little bit more degrees on the thermometer,” Wieters said. 

Things went awry for Rodon and the White Sox (16-9) an inning later when the Orioles (14-8) came up with three runs. 

Jonathan Schoop’s single up the middle scored Wieters and Hardy. Reimold scored when shortstop Jimmy Rollins threw wildly to first on Joey Rickard’s grounder, and the Orioles led 3-1. 

Mike Wright allowed a run in the second on a double to Melky Cabrera and a two-out triple to Avisail Garcia. 

In the sixth, Rollins lifted a fly to center that Jones tried to make a diving catch on. He couldn’t, and Eaton made it to third. Jose Abreu’s single to right scored Eaton. 

Cabrera’s liner to center was caught by Jones, and he threw home as Wieters snatched the ball and swiftly brought it down to tag Rollins to temporarily preserve a 3-2 lead. 

“Adam’s got the hard part of making it all the way there. And I think the biggest thing I was worried about was the wet night, being able to get the skip. It didn’t really skip on me. It kind of bounced up on me. That made it a little bit easier, I guess,” Wieters said.

Showalter defended Jones’ style of play.

“If you think you are going to get Adam to back off from playing that way, you are kidding yourself. He can’t play the game any other way. That’s why you like him so much. That’s why you trust him effort-wise, and if you ever take that away from him — that aggressiveness- you might as well not play him,” Jones said. 

Wright allowed two runs on five hits in six innings, and Wieters  certainly liked what he saw.

“Today was I think the best he’s thrown any time I’ve caught him. I think he’ll be able to take a lot out of this outing and move forward as what kind of pitcher he can be. It was fun. It was fun back there catching him tonight and really even the runs they scored he made good pitches on. So for 90 pitches or whatever he threw he was focused as much as I’ve ever seen somebody,” Wieters said. 

Wright is seeing a big improvement in his outings.

“Since the beginning of the season, even since the beginning of spring training, I’ve felt better and better every time I’ve taken the mound. It’s very positive to go out there and really feel confident that I can execute every pitch [Wieters] puts down,” Wright said.  

Quick Links

Orioles round out starting pitching rotation, finalize 4-year contract with Alex Cobb

USA Today Sports

Orioles round out starting pitching rotation, finalize 4-year contract with Alex Cobb

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Alex Cobb's comfort and familiarity with the AL East was the deciding factor in his decision to sign with the Baltimore Orioles.

"They used the AL East and the success I've had in it to their advantage," the 30-year-old right-hander said Wednesday after finalizing a $57 million, four-year contract. "They kept challenging me with it and I love the challenge of pitching in this division and they know that over the times we talked. They did a really good job of making me feel like this is where I need to be."

Cobb gets $14 million in each of the first three seasons and $15 million in 2021, and he would earn a $500,000 bonus in each year he pitches 180 innings. Baltimore will defer $6.5 million from this year's salary and $4.5 million in each of the next three seasons.

He gets $2 million of the deferred money on Nov. 30, 2022, and $1.8 million annually on Nov. 30 from 2023-32. If he doesn't pitch at least 130 innings in 2020, an additional $5.25 million of the final's year salary would get deferred, payable $1.75 million annually on Nov. 30 from 2033-35.


Cobb has a full no-trade this year, then can list 10 teams from 2019-21 that he cannot be dealt to without his consent.

He had spent his entire six-season big league career with Tampa Bay and was the last big-name starting pitcher available in a slow-moving free agent market. He joined Andrew Cashner and Chris Tillman, who were signed last month, in a revamped rotation that includes holdovers Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman.

Cobb was 12-10 with a 3.66 ERA in 29 starts last season. He pitched 179 1/3 innings in his first full year back after missing nearly two seasons because of Tommy John surgery.

He had turned down the Rays' $17.4 million qualifying offer in November, and Baltimore pursued him from the start of free agency.

"They didn't stop bothering me the whole offseason," Cobb said. "They were very persistent, and I think that you notice that confidence they have in you just by the way they speak to you and the questions you ask and not questioning anything that's gone on. Everyone's got flaws that they come with and potential things you could really harp on that might not be your strong suit, but they never went down that avenue. They always told me how much they like certain aspects of what I do on and off the field, and just kept repeating how well I fit in here."


Cobb is 48-35 with a 3.50 in six big league seasons. Baltimore will lose its third-highest draft pick, currently No. 51, and the Rays get an extra selection after the first round as compensation.

Jose Mesa Jr. was designated for assignment Wednesday to clear a roster spot.

Baltimore opens on March 29 at home against Minnesota, but Cobb won't be ready to pitch then. He has agreed to be optioned to a minor league affiliate to help build up innings.

"I'm going to be pushing it as quick as I can," Cobb said. "That's going to be up to them. They've invested in me for a four-year period and as much as we know how much every game matters even early in April, we're going to have to look out for the overall future of this whole thing and whole contract and whatever they determine to be the way to protect me and my feedback from the bullpens I'm going to be throwing here in the next few days will probably determine the timeline."

Quick Links

Orioles agree to one-year deal with pitcher Chris Tillman, according to reports

USA Today Sports

Orioles agree to one-year deal with pitcher Chris Tillman, according to reports

SARASOTA, Fla. -- A person familiar with the negotiations says pitcher Chris Tillman and the Baltimore Orioles have agreed to a $3 million, one-year contract.

The deal includes performance bonuses, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday because the deal had not yet been announced.

Tillman was 1-7 with a 7.84 ERA in 19 starts and five relief appearances last year. He would be the second starter added by the Orioles in the past week after right-hander Andrew Cashner.

Tillman likely would join right-handers Dylan Bundy, Kevin Gausman and Cashner in the rotation.

The 29-year-old right-hander lives in Sarasota and had been working out at the Orioles' facility before spring training. Manager Buck Showalter watched Tillman throw and was impressed.

Tillman began last season on the disabled list with right shoulder stiffness.

"Better than he did last year at this time. I think he's got the chance to pitch well for somebody this year," Showalter said. "A lot of the challenges he had last year -- this time last year -- aren't there. Somebody's going to reap the benefits."

Tillman's is 73-55 with a 4.43 ERA in nine major league seasons, all with the Orioles. He won 16 games in both 2013 and 2016.

"He's a guy when he's healthy you can bank on him giving you 200 innings and keeping his ERA between a 3 and a 4," Gausman said. "That in the AL East is always going to be very valuable."