OWINGS MILLS – Steve Smith Sr. jokes about being 37 years old, but he wants to prove he will still be an offensive force for the Ravens. He made a not-so-subtle reference to being left off the NFL Network’s Top 100 player list, and prides himself on the longevity of his career.
“I snicker and laugh, because it’s always something someone has to say about why,” said Smith on Wednesday, still sidelined from Achilles surgery. “Those guys that (are in) the Top 100. You have guys on there, and they’re talking about being the best, and they’ve been playing about 15 minutes in the league. I just kind of laugh at it.
"If your highlight is making the Top 100 on NFL Network one time for a year of success, and I was making plays when you were in kindergarten, then I don’t want your career. You can keep it. You be on TV.”
The NFL Top 100 list, which is voted on players, has revealed No. 100 to 31, but the top 30 are still to be named. Here are the receivers listed so far.
98. Jarvis Landry, Miami Dolphins
96. Sammy Watkins, Buffalo Bills
93. Jeremy Maclin, Kansas City Chiefs
74. Emmanuel Sanders, Denver Broncos
72. Doug Baldwin, Seattle Seahawks
62. Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos
51. Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
31. Allen Robinson, Jacksonville Jaguars