Cassell Jr. loses appeal, won't play for Terps


Cassell Jr. loses appeal, won't play for Terps

Sam Cassell Jr. will not play for the Maryland Terrapins this year.

Questions emerged over Cassell's eligibility to play for the Terps over the past few weeks as the NCAA investigated his high school transcripts. The classes in question were taken while Cassell played at Notre Dame Prep high school in Fitchburg, Mass. The NCAA determined that some classes Cassell took while at Notre Dame Prep would not qualify for athletic participation under NCAA guidelines.

Cassell, an incoming freshman, was expected to compete for minutes in the Terps backcourt with returning players Pe'Shon Howard and Nick Faust as well as fellow newcomers Seth Allen and Logan Aronhalt.

Maryland officials twice appealed the NCAA's decision on Cassell, but found little help from the athletic governing body.

"Weve exhausted every option and made our best effort," Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said in a news release. "Im very pleased with the work that our compliance staff put in on Sams behalf. Obviously, were very disappointed that he will be unable to attend the University of Maryland at this time and be a part of our basketball program. We will continue to support Sam and his family in any way that we can as they determine their next steps."

Cassell's father, former NBA player and current Washington Wizard assistant coach Sam Cassell, disagreed with the NCAA ruling.

"The NCAA just wants kids to fail. It's not these kids' fault," Cassell told CBS Sports. "The NCAA can't penalize Notre Dame Prep, so they are squashing the kids dreams."

Reports show that other students took the same courses as Cassell and were allowed to play Division I basketball, according to CBS.

"But what the NCAA has done isn't right," Cassell said. "What they do to kids isn't right."

Cassell Jr.'s next move is not currently known, but he has options of trying to qualify with a different school or attending junior college.

Quick Links

3 reasons the Caps beat the Stars


3 reasons the Caps beat the Stars

The Washington Capitals had not beaten the Dallas Stars at home since 2006, Alex Ovechkin's second season in the NHL. That streak ended on Tuesday in a 4-3 Caps win.

Here's how the Caps were finally able to down Dallas in Washington.

Oshie still hot

After going 19 straight games without a goal, T.J. Oshie has been red-hot of late with four goals in his last four games. He scored Washington’s first goal in what would become a three-goal period for the Caps as they battled back from a 1-0 deficit into a 3-3 tie through 40 minutes. Oshie also added an assist as he won a power play faceoff that John Carlson fed to Alex Ovechkin for the goal.


Ovechkin victimizing his favorite target

You knew Ovechkin would score given he was playing against one of his favorite targets. With his second period goal, Ovechkin now has 22 goals against Kari Lehtonen in his career, tied with Henrik Lundqvist for the most goals he has scored on any netminder. Lehtonen has not been in the Eastern Conference since the 2008-09 season. When he goes to sleep at night, Ovechkin is who he sees in his nightmares.

The Carlson-Klingberg duel

Carlson and John Klingberg entered Tuesday’s game each with 59 points, tied for the league lead in points among defensemen. Carlson downplayed the matchup both before and after the game, but it was clear that both players were playing at another level all game long. While both players tallied two points on the night, you have to give the win to Carlson as he had the most significant point, a game-winning goal in the third period.


Quick Links

Redskins make contract offer to pass rusher Pernell McPhee, per report


Redskins make contract offer to pass rusher Pernell McPhee, per report

Free agent pass rusher Pernell McPhee visited the Redskins on Monday, and by Tuesday night a report emerged that Washington offered the veteran outside linebacker a contract.

Last week, Trent Murphy signed with the Buffalo Bills and things remain uncertain between the Redskins and Junior Galette. That means the organization has a need for an edge rushing linebacker, and that's exactly the role McPhee can play. 

A 29-year-old that played the last three seasons with the Bears, McPhee posted 14 sacks while in Chicago. Prior to his time with the Bears, McPhee was a solid contributor on some good Ravens teams. 


His best season in Baltimore came in 2014 when he posted 7.5 sacks. That's also the last season McPhee played a full 16 game schedule. He's missed 12 games over the last three years in Chicago. 

McPhee could provide the Redskins with solid veteran depth at outside linebacker, and he's also considered a plus defender against the run. With Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith cemented as the starting outside linebackers, if signed, McPhee would pair up with Ryan Anderson on Washington's second unit. At 6-foot-2 and 275 lbs., McPhee carries more weight on his frame than either Kerrigan or Smith. 

Pro Football Focus gave McPhee a strong grade for the 2017 season. He notched a +11.5 and ranked 13th out of 46 outside linebackers graded. For comparison, Broncos star Von Miller ranked 1st at +57, Kerrigan ranked 8th at +22.9 and Galette ranked 10th at +16.2.

It's unclear what a move for McPhee would mean between the Redskins and Galette, but it's hard to imagine it helps.

Free agent Johnathan Hankins also visited Washington on Monday, and while he plays an interior defensive line position different from McPhee, it's also unclear what this offer would do to any negotiations between the Redskins and Hankins. 

Want more Redskins? Click here to follow JP on Facebook and check out @JPFinlayNBCS for live updates via Twitter! Click here for the #RedskinsTalk on Apple Podcastshere for Google Play or press play below. Don't forget to subscribe!