Nationals

Charge dropped against RB Peterson in Houston

201211111529557868322-p2.jpeg

Charge dropped against RB Peterson in Houston

HOUSTON (AP) A grand jury in Houston has dismissed a misdemeanor resisting arrest charge against Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson after hearing from the four-time Pro Bowler and other witnesses.

Derek Hollingsworth, one of Peterson's attorneys, said Tuesday the case stemming from Peterson's July 7 arrest outside a night club is expected to be formally dropped on Wednesday. Peterson was due in court for a pretrial hearing on Thursday before Judge Natalie Fleming.

Hollingsworth said Peterson testified before the grand jury on Tuesday and found no probable cause for prosecutors to continue.

``It's what should've happened from the get-go,'' Hollingsworth said. ``I'm glad it happened now.''

Peterson, 27, was in Houston just two days after rushing for 171 yards in the Vikings' 34-24 win over Detroit. He's rushed for more than 100 yards in four straight games and is the NFL's leading rusher this season, averaging 112.8 yards per game. The Vikings (6-4) have their open date this week.

Peterson, a native of Palestine, Texas, was handcuffed and briefly jailed after the confrontation outside the club with an off-duty police officer. He was released on a $1,000 bond.

Police said Peterson shoved the officer, who was working security and asked Peterson and his companions to leave the club, which was closed. Peterson said in court a week after the incident that he ``didn't push, shove, touch anything to anyone that night, especially an officer.''

Last season, Peterson ran for 970 yards and 12 touchdowns before tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee Dec. 24. The injury-shortened season broke a streak of four straight with at least 1,200 yards rushing.

The former Oklahoma star was drafted seventh overall by Minnesota in 2007.

Quick Links

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

WASHINGTON  -- The Washington Nationals say they have agreed to a one-year deal with 40-year-old reliever Joaquin Benoit.

The team announced the move Wednesday, along with placing pitcher Joe Ross on the 60-day disabled list as he recovers from Tommy John surgery in July.

The Nationals didn't release terms of the agreement, though a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Monday that it was for $1 million.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't official at the time.

MORE NATIONALS: FULL 2018 SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE

Benoit is a right-hander who first reached the big leagues in 2001. 

He has played for eight teams, finishing last year with Pittsburgh.

He has 764 career appearances, going 58-49 with a 3.83 ERA and 53 saves.

RELATED: 2018 MLB BETTING ODDS

Quick Links

Capitals Faceoff Podcast: The Caps add two defensemen, problem solved?

faceoffepisode65.png
NBC Sports Washington

Capitals Faceoff Podcast: The Caps add two defensemen, problem solved?

The Capitals got their trade deadline started early by trading for defensemen Michal Kempny and Jakub Jerabek. Washington has been struggling of late, but do their new acquisitions address the team's weaknesses?

JJ Regan and Tarik El-Bashir evaluate the two trades and talk about where they could fit into the lineup.

You can listen to the latest episode here on the Capitals Faceoff page or with the player below.

Want even more great Capitals coverage? Follow @TarikNBCS and @JJReganNBCS on Twitter!