Nationals

London Mayor Boris Johnson in talks with NFL

201210281544566547383-p2.jpeg

London Mayor Boris Johnson in talks with NFL

LONDON (AP) The Olympic Stadium is in need of a tenant, and London Mayor Boris Johnson thinks the NFL could be the right match.

Just a few days after the NFL's sixth regular-season game at Wembley Stadium, Johnson said he has spoken with the league about playing more games in the British capital.

``Sunday's game at Wembley, in front of over 80,000 fans, further cements London's reputation as the natural home of American football outside of the United States,'' the mayor's office said in a statement.

``Given the ever growing popularity of gridiron on this side of the Atlantic, the mayor and his team have held a number of meetings with senior executives in the last few days to explore further opportunities involving the NFL and London. The talks were exploratory. We are at an early stage, but the signs are encouraging.''

All six NFL games in London so far have been at Wembley, including the New England Patriots' 45-7 win over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday. The two games scheduled for next season are also set for Wembley, and the NFL has a contract with Wembley through 2016.

But the Olympic Stadium, built for this year's games, have yet to find a permanent resident. Johnson happens to be the chairman of the London Legacy Development Corporation, which is responsible for deciding how the Olympic Stadium will be used in the future.

A decision on the future of the stadium is not expected before December. West Ham, a London soccer team, is the leading contender to take up residency - and keep the running track in place.

The Olympic Stadium is not due to reopen before 2014.

The NFL said it has been in talks with local authorities in London for years about future possibilities.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have a deal to play one home game in London for four consecutive seasons, beginning in 2013. The NFL has raised the possibility of having a full-time franchise in London, although that is still considered a long shot.

Quick Links

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

WASHINGTON  -- The Washington Nationals say they have agreed to a one-year deal with 40-year-old reliever Joaquin Benoit.

The team announced the move Wednesday, along with placing pitcher Joe Ross on the 60-day disabled list as he recovers from Tommy John surgery in July.

The Nationals didn't release terms of the agreement, though a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Monday that it was for $1 million.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't official at the time.

MORE NATIONALS: FULL 2018 SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE

Benoit is a right-hander who first reached the big leagues in 2001. 

He has played for eight teams, finishing last year with Pittsburgh.

He has 764 career appearances, going 58-49 with a 3.83 ERA and 53 saves.

RELATED: 2018 MLB BETTING ODDS

Quick Links

Capitals Faceoff Podcast: The Caps add two defensemen, problem solved?

faceoffepisode65.png
NBC Sports Washington

Capitals Faceoff Podcast: The Caps add two defensemen, problem solved?

The Capitals got their trade deadline started early by trading for defensemen Michal Kempny and Jakub Jerabek. Washington has been struggling of late, but do their new acquisitions address the team's weaknesses?

JJ Regan and Tarik El-Bashir evaluate the two trades and talk about where they could fit into the lineup.

You can listen to the latest episode here on the Capitals Faceoff page or with the player below.

Want even more great Capitals coverage? Follow @TarikNBCS and @JJReganNBCS on Twitter!