Capitals

McIlroy eager to make history at Hong Kong Open

201211130424158642525-p2.jpeg

McIlroy eager to make history at Hong Kong Open

HONG KONG (AP) Only one golfer has successfully retained the Hong Kong Open title in 53 years. Rory McIlroy wants to be the second.

McIlroy drilled a brilliant bunker shot on the last hole a year ago to win the title by two strokes, becoming the tournament's youngest winner at 22 after being runner-up in 2008 and 2009.

He first competed in Hong Kong at 16, when he got a glimpse of the area off mainland China.

``I first came here as a junior in the Faldo Series and players like Oliver Fisher and myself and a few others stayed at the golf club at Fanling and it was great fun and I've always really enjoyed the golf course,'' McIlroy said. ``Then when it became a European Tour event, I came back and stayed in the city on Hong Kong island and I've just really enjoyed the buzz and the atmosphere.''

Only Taiwan's Hsieh Yung-yo has won the event two years in a row, in 1963-64.

``It's here also that I have had some great experiences as a player, taking part in one of the best playoffs ever against Lin Wen-tang in 2009,'' McIlroy said. ``Then I was able to finally put my name on the Hong Kong Open trophy last year.''

McIlroy will face 19-year-old Matteo Manassero, the new Singapore Open winner, who will play the opening two rounds with McIlroy.

``When I think of Rory, I think he has an impossible game to imitate,'' the Italian teen said. ``He is so good and he plays probably the best game in the world.''

While McIlroy has sealed the European Tour money title, others are eager to make the top 115 and secure automatic tour membership for next year.

Four players will come off the money list for not playing the minimum of 13 events, including Scotland's Martin Laird who has played in 10. The cutoff will be 119th.

Rhys Davies of Wales currently holds that position, and two former tour winners in Bradley Dredge (121st) and Andrew Dodt (122nd) are within $2,400) of Davies.

Also, Portugal's Ricardo Santos, this year's winner of the Madeira Islands Open, is looking to seal the rookie of the year award.

Quick Links

Capitals Extra Podcast: Trade deadline story time with Alan May

caps_extra_icon_01.png
NBC Sports Washington

Capitals Extra Podcast: Trade deadline story time with Alan May

Alan May knows a thing or two about the trade deadline.

Over the course of his NHL career, May was traded five total times, four at the trade deadline. He sits down with Rob Carlin on a special edition of the Capitals Extra Podcast to tell stories from his playing days about what it was like getting traded.

This one's a can't miss for hockey fans. You can listen to the episode here on the Capitals Extra page or with the player below.

Report: Former Terp Diamond Stone included in federal documents detailing NCAA violations

Report: Former Terp Diamond Stone included in federal documents detailing NCAA violations

A bombshell article published Friday morning by Pat Forde and Pete Thamel of Yahoo! Sports details potential NCAA violations involving more than 20 schools and 25 players.

Several of the biggest names and programs in college basketball were referenced in the Yahoo! report, including former Maryland Terrapin, Diamond Stone.

According to documents and bank records that are part of an FBI investigation, Stone received $14,303 while a freshman at Maryland, a clear violation of NCAA rules. 

Former NBA agent Andy Miller of ASM Sports was the primary handler dishing out incentives, which included cash advances, entertainment expenses and travel expenses for high school and college prospects.

Other players referenced in the documents include Dennis Smith who played at North Carolina State, Isaiah Whitehead from Seton Hall, DeMatha star Markelle Fultz who played at Washington and Edrice "Bam" Adebayo who went on to play at Kentucky. 

Player's and their families from Duke, Michigan State, USC, North Carolina, Texas and Alabama were also included.

Stone played for the Terps during the 2015-16 season before declaring for the 2016 NBA Draft. He was selected 40th overall by the New Orleans Pelicans and traded to the Los Angeles Clippers. 

Stone did end up signing with a different agency.

While this is still under investigation, large consequences for the NCAA can be expected.

The NCAA released this statement following the news. 

These allegations, if true, point to systematic failures that must be fixed and fixed now if we want college sports in America. Simply put, people who engage in this kind of behavior have no place in college sports. They are an affront to all those who play by the rules. Following the Southern District of New York's indictments last year, the NCAA Board of Governors and I formed the independent Commission on College Basketball, chaired by Condoleezza Rice, to provide recommendations on how to clean up the sport. With these latest allegations, it's clear this work is more important now than ever. The Board and I are completely committed to making transformational changes to the game and ensuring all involved in college basketball do so with integrity. We also will continue to cooperate with the efforts of federal prosecutors to identify and punish the unscrupulous parties seeking to exploit the system through criminal acts.

RELATED: DIAMOND STONE ADMITS TO 'MISTAKES' DURING FRESHMAN YEAR AT MARYLAND