Nebraska beats Wake Forest 79-63


Nebraska beats Wake Forest 79-63

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) Ray Gallegos scored 17 of his career-high 20 points after halftime to help Nebraska beat Wake Forest 79-63 on Tuesday night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

Andre Almeida matched his career-high with 20 points to go with a career-best 11 rebounds for the Cornhuskers (5-1), who blew open a close game after halftime. Gallegos went just 1 for 5 in the first half but hit seven straight shots after the break, helping Nebraska blow the game open and turn it into an ugly night for the Demon Deacons (3-3).

After leading just 28-24 at the break, the Huskers scored on 16 of 19 possessions to start the second half and build a 22-point lead with 8:05 left. Gallegos had 12 points during the 20-3 run that turned it into a romp, including a pair of 3-pointers.

Freshman Madison Jones scored 14 to lead Wake Forest.

The Demon Deacons came into the season knowing they would have to rely on senior C.J. Harris and junior Travis McKie to lead a team loaded with freshmen. Both came in averaging around 16 points, but they combined for 10 points on 3-for-17 shooting to lead a toothless effort by Wake Forest's offense.

Gallegos was coming off a three-point performance on 1-for-9 shooting in Saturday's 74-60 home loss to Kent State. He had scored at least 11 points in every game before that, then returned to form with a flurry coming out of the break against the Demon Deacons. His third 3-pointer started the breakaway run, then he followed with a transition layup and another 3 before losing Chase Fischer around a screen and knocking down a midrange jumper that pushed the lead to 16.

Dylan Talley (14 points) scored Nebraska's other eight points during that 20-3 run, ending the spurt with two free throws that made it 62-40. Wake Forest got no closer than 13 points again.

The game was a rematch from last year's ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Wake Forest won that one 55-53 on Harris' layup with 3.4 seconds left.

Quick Links

Scott Brooks, Ramon Sessions hoping for best with Tyronn Lue's health issues

USA Today Sports Images

Scott Brooks, Ramon Sessions hoping for best with Tyronn Lue's health issues

As a fellow NBA head coach, Scott Brooks understands what Tyronn Lue of the Cleveland Cavaliers is going through. As his former teammate, Ramon Sessions knows how tough Lue is.

Both members of the Wizards shared their reactions after Monday's practice to the news Lue is stepping away from the Cavs to deal with a health issue. Both expressed hope Lue will not be out long as the NBA continues its trek towards the playoffs.

"All of our thoughts are with him," Brooks said. "You hope that it's nothing serious. Health is the most important [thing]. The game is secondary."


"Prayers out to T-Lue," said Sessions, who played with Lue in Milwaukee. "It's one of those things where you've gotta take care of yourself at the end of the day. Him stepping away is the best thing."

Lue's illness has been a mystery to doctors, according to a statement he released on the Cavaliers' website. He has dealt with chest pains and other symptoms while also struggling to sleep. The hope is that having time off will allow him to get the rest he needs.


Brooks knows firsthand how difficult it is to get sleep during the regular season as a coach.

"You just have to figure out ways to get your rest. Some days are better than others. Sometimes you think after a good win you can have a good night's rest or sometimes it's the opposite. It's just hard to get rest. You're traveling in different timezones. You are emotional after games. You eat late. There are a lot of factors that go into it. We don't have a set schedule every night. I have a good staff and I rely on them," he said.

Lue, 40, will be replaced by associate head coach Larry Drew in the interim. The Cavs happen to be in a tight playoff race with the Wizards and other teams in the Eastern Conference battling for position.

NBC Sports Washington is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Quick Links

Redskins add another ex-Cowboy as they sign CB Orlando Scandrick

USA Today Sports Images

Redskins add another ex-Cowboy as they sign CB Orlando Scandrick

The Redskins seem to love former Cowboys. They signed another one today.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Media is reporting that Washington has agreed to terms with cornerback Orlando Scandrick. The early numbers put the contract at up to $10 million over two years.

Scandrick, 31, has played for the Cowboys since they made him a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft. In nine seasons in the league, Scandrick has eight interceptions and seven forced fumbles.

He has been plagued by injuries the last three years. Scandrick was out for the entire 2015 season with a torn ACL. In 2016 he missed four games with a hamstring injury and he finished last season on injured reserve with a back injury. Whether his struggles last year were due to injuries or age remains to be seen.

Scandrick joins Nosh Norman, Quinton Dunbar, Fabian Moreau, and Josh Holsey at cornerback for the Redskins. Holsey is the only natural slot corner in the group and he played very sparingly as a rookie last year. Scandrick likely will fill the slot role until Holsey is ready.

We will see what the signing costs in terms of salary cap impact when we see the details of the contract. The phrase “up to” generally means that there are incentives included in the deal so we will have to see.

In recent years, the Redskins have signed former Cowboys defensive linemen Stephen Bowen, Jason Hatcher, and Terrell McClain.


Stay up to date on the Redskins. Rich Tandler covers the team 365 days a year. Like his Facebook page Facebook.com/TandlerNBCS and follow him on Twitter @TandlerNBCS.