Wizards

South Carolina's Lattimore entering NFL draft

201212121335489053538-p2.jpeg

South Carolina's Lattimore entering NFL draft

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) Injured South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore is finished with college football. How long it takes the Gamecocks junior to make his NFL debut is anyone's guess.

Lattimore announced Wednesday he was giving up his final season to enter the NFL draft. He was considered a can't-miss, first-round talent after his first two seasons. However, a horrifying right knee injury in October has dropped his draft stock and it is unclear when Lattimore might return to action.

Lattimore dislocated his knee and damaged three of four ligaments when he was tackled against Tennessee. Doctors say surgery on his knee was successful and Lattimore easily walked into his first gathering with media since the injury.

He came into this season off ligament surgery to his left knee, an injury that cost him the final six games of the 2011 season.

Despite his injuries, Lattimore said, ``I wouldn't change a thing.''

He and Dr. Jeffrey Guy said it would take 12-to-15 months to recover, meaning it is unlikely Lattimore would play anywhere during the 2013 season. Guy, among the team that operated on Lattimore, said Lattimore's prognosis for full recovery was good.

Lattimore finished his career as the Gamecocks' all-time leader with 41 overall touchdowns and 38 rushing scores in 29 games.

Still, even draft experts are puzzled about Lattimore's prospects next April.

``I just put wild card next to his name,'' ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said on a media conference call Tuesday.

Lattimore had told Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier before a student rally of support in October that the player hoped to return to the field for the Gamecocks. About a month ago, Lattimore talked with his family and decided entering the NFL draft was the better choice.

Lattimore said he received encouraging support from two NFL stars who successfully came back from knee surgery - running backs Frank Gore and Willis McGahee - but declined to go into details about the conversations. Lattimore remained composed as he thanked Spurrier, teammates and university officials.

``This has easily been the best three years of my life,'' he said.

Lattimore rushed for 662 yards and 11 touchdowns this season, both team highs.

He had been South Carolina's primary offensive force the past three seasons, starting from the time he stepped on campus as a freshman in 2010. He gained 1,197 yards and 17 touchdowns to help the Gamecocks to a Southeastern Conference Eastern Division title that fall.

Lattimore was on his way to eclipsing those marks when he was hurt in an October game at Mississippi State. Following surgery, Lattimore plunged himself into rehab and returned in time for summer workouts with his teammates.

He showed few effects from that injury this season. Lattimore had three games with at least 100 yards rushing and appeared headed for a fourth against the Vols when he was hurt again.

His left leg flopped to the turf and Lattimore struggled to contain his emotions in a silent Williams-Brice Stadium. Players from both teams surrounded him as doctors and trainers worked on the knee, praying and offering best wishes.

Two days later, South Carolina held a rally on campus to celebrate Lattimore's 21st birthday and wish him well in his recovery. Lattimore did not attend, but Spurrier told the crowd he gotten a message from the running back to tell them, ``I'll be back.''

On Nov. 10 against Arkansas, the school unveiled Lattimore's name and touchdown record on the facing of one of the stadium's spiral ramps. Lattimore had a taped message to fans on the stadium's large video board, saying he felt fine and was ``working to get back to football.''

Lattimore ends his college career as South Carolina's sixth-leading rushed with 2,677 yards and had 11 games with 100 yards or more. He also finishes with 74 catches for 767 yards and three touchdown catches.

Quick Links

Don't expect a big role for Ramon Sessions with Wizards after signing as free agent

Don't expect a big role for Ramon Sessions with Wizards after signing as free agent

When Ramon Sessions was last with the Wizards, he was the primary backup point guard behind starter John Wall. Now back with the team on a 10-day contract, he is expected to play a much more muted role.

Wizards head coach Scott Brooks spoke of Sessions as the fourth-string point guard, not only behind Wall who remains out to recover from left knee surgery, but also behind Tomas Satoransky and Tim Frazier. The presence of Sessions should not affect Satoransky's minutes as the replacement starter and it doesn't sound like Frazier is in jeopardy of moving down the depth chart, either.

"I don't know how many minutes or opportunities he will get, but with the way he holds himself I feel comfortable if we need him in a pinch," Brooks said. "We have some coverage now if one of our guards goes down or gets in foul trouble."

PODCAST: WHAT THE SESSIONS SIGNING MEANS FOR SATORANSKY

Brooks mentioned Sessions' ability to play some at shooting guard if needed. He also praised Sessions' penchant for getting to the free throw line. Sessions has averaged 3.9 free throw attempts in just 23.5 minutes per game. That's highest among active players who have averaged 24 minutes or less in their career.

Sessions played well for the Wizards down the stretch of the 2014-15 season and in the 2015-16 campaign. As a member of the Wizards, he averaged 9.2 points and 3.0 assists per game.

He has played for eight different teams, but has always felt a connection to Washington.

"It just always felt like a place I could end up back one day," he said. "People always ask me, being on so many teams, 'what's the home team to you?' I always come back to the Wizards. It was a place I was only here a year-and-a-half, but it feels like much longer than that with the run we had and the fans and the support I get when I come here."

Exactly how long Sessions will be here is unclear. He couldn't crack the Knicks' rotation earlier this season and has a lot to prove. Still, he's excited for the opportunity.

RELATED: LATEST NBA POWER RANKINGS

Quick Links

Kevin Durant commits $10 million to Prince George's County public schools

usatsi_10629862.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

Kevin Durant commits $10 million to Prince George's County public schools

Kevin Durant continues to give back to the community that raised him. 

Durant, who calls Prince George's County, MD., home, recently announced a partnership with Prince George's County public schools. 

The partnership, which comes with a $10 million dollar commitment from Durant, will help fund a program called College Track. Essentially, it's a 10-year program that provides basic infrastructure — test prep, tutoring, college selection and how to get financial aid — that kids from less-advantaged families often times don’t have.

Durant's money will go towards building College Track's Maryland center. There are nine other College Tracks across California, Colorado, and Louisiana, and the program has helped over 3,000 students get to college and beyond. This Maryland center will be the first of three that are planned to go up in the DC area. 

You can read the entire article about Durant and College Track right here. 

RELATED: WHAT THE SESSIONS SIGNING MEANS FOR TOMAS SATORANSKY