Ravens Top Stories

Quick Links

Robert Griffin III is getting another shot in the NFL with the Ravens

usatsi_9754784_141983962_lowres.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

Robert Griffin III is getting another shot in the NFL with the Ravens

Watch your back, Joe Flacco.

At a press conference meant to discuss the upcoming NFL Draft, the Ravens surprised many by announcing that they have signed Robert Griffin III to a one-year deal. 

Griffin, the former Redskins and Baylor phenom, wasn't in the league last season. He last played for the Browns in 2016, suiting up for five contests, completing 59 percent of his passes and posting a 72.5 QB rating.

MORE: NFL MOCK DRAFT - POST FREE AGENCY EDITION

“He came in last week, worked out, had a real good workout, and we were able to come to an agreement late yesterday,” Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome said at the Wednesday presser. “He will probably be here early next week to sign the deal.”

Head coach John Harbaugh said he and the coaching staff are all "very excited" to have RGIII as their No. 2 quarterback and that the addition "makes us a better football team." Harbaugh also noted how much RGIII wanted to be a Raven. 

The 28-year-old will have the chance to land the backup job to Flacco in Baltimore, and in all seriousness, it's good to see the 2012 Rookie of the Year get another chance in pro football. He should probably leave his catchphrases at home, though.

Quick Links

Ravens' Eric DCosta not ruling out taking a quarterback at No. 16

ravensgm.png
AP Images

Ravens' Eric DCosta not ruling out taking a quarterback at No. 16

And with the No. 16 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select.... a quarterback?

Assistant general manager, and soon to be general manager, Eric DeCosta isn't ruling out the possibility that the Ravens use their first-round pick on drafting a quarterback to eventually replace Joe Flacco. 

"I feel like if there is a guy there that we think is really too good to pass up, we're going to take him," DeCosta told the team's website on the chance of draft a quarterback in the first-round. 

Quarterback is just one of many offensive needs for the team. Joe Flacco's stats have been trending downward as the 33-year old is entering his 11th season.

RELATED: RAVENS SIGN CRABTREE TO THREE-YEAR DEAL

Owner Steve Bisciotti though may disagree with DeCosta.

At his annual State of the Ravens press conference, Bisciotti said, "That’s not really something that we’re worried about right now. We’ve got bigger fish to fry, I guess. I don’t consider that a big worry," in regards to looking at life after Joe. Bisciotti also noted the team would be looking at all options in free agency and the draft for weapons for their QB.

From the sound of that, it appears the team's first choice would be a wideout, but the Ravens haven't drafted a quarterback since Joe Flacco back in 2008. 

The 2018 NFL Draft class has a handful of strong quarterbacks to choose from and not a ton of first-round wide receivers. 

Former Ravens scout, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has predicted the team with take Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield in the first-round. 

"It basically depends on our evaluation and how we feel about the guy, what we think he can become as a player and what we think his upside is and if he's there," DeCosta said

Backup Ryan Mallet is a free agent so the organization will have to find someone to fill the role, whether it's someone on a one year-deal, or the future QB of the franchise. 

RELATED: RAVENS MOCK DRAFT ROUNDUP 4.0

Quick Links

Ryan Grant's health issue and why the Ravens couldn't control voiding his contract

ryan-grant-redskins-usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports Images

Ryan Grant's health issue and why the Ravens couldn't control voiding his contract

The most obvious move in the NFL this offseason was the Ravens signing a new wide receiver (or three). It was less obvious why the team decided to commit so much money to former Redskins receiver Ryan Grant.

Grant has long been beloved by his coaches and teammates, but the results have never been there on game day. He has some potential to improve if given a larger role in a team's offense, which he likely would have had in Baltimore, but it never made much sense to offer him a 4-year contract worth nearly 30 million, with $14.5 million guaranteed.

Thankfully for fans who were uninspired by the reported agreement, Grant was unable to pass his physical and will not be joining the team.

RELATED: RAVENS CUT WR JEREMY MACLIN AFTER ONE SEASON

At a press conference Friday morning, GM Ozzie Newsome called the void a "medical decision" that Newsome had no control over. 

NFL insider Ian Rapoport reported that Grant is recovering from a Grade 2 sprained ankle that would need two months rest.

You have to feel for Grant, who by all accounts has worked his tail off for many years just waiting for his chance. It's never easy missing out on nearly $15 million dollars guaranteed, but Grant should be able to find work with another team.

The timing of this news, coming so soon after former Raider Michael Crabtree became available, seemed fishy to some.

At Friday's press conference, Newsome also said the team would have still pursued Crabtree if they signed Grant. 

It's probably not fair to suggest that an NFL franchise would actually so publicly back out of a deal just because another option came along, as any team with that reputation would struggle to attract future free agents. That said, it could end up working out splendidly for the team.

Besides, if all else is equal, shouldn't a team located in Baltimore be going after a guy named CRABtree?

RELATED: RAVENS MOCK DRAFT ROUNDUP 4.0