Nationals

Quick Links

With dramatic week, Werth out to show he's not in decline just yet

With dramatic week, Werth out to show he's not in decline just yet

As if it wasn't obvious previously, it's clear now that Jayson Werth has heard all the chatter in recent months about his career being in decline. 

At 37 years old and coming off a disappointing, injury-riddled 2015 campaign, the veteran outfielder had his future with the Nationals questioned by fans and baseball pundits who wondered if and when the team might look to replace him.

Flash forward to this week, one in which he notched two dramatic game-winning singles in a span of four days, and Werth wasn't about to let his detractors off the hook for doubting him, exclaiming in an on-field interview that "those people can kiss my a--!"

Werth was a bit more subdued in the clubhouse following Wednesday's wild 5-4 win over the Cubs, but his overall sentiment was still the same. 

"One swing can change your life," he said. "I never doubted it."

Of course, a pair of big hits does not a season make. But even if you put his late-inning heroics aside, the numbers show Werth may indeed have a little more left in the tank. Since May 30, he has a slash line of .327/.433/.571 with three home runs and 13 RBIs. And while this recent stretch may have raised his average to a modest .248 — one percentage point behind Bryce Harper's mark of .249 — his 37 RBIs on the season are tied for third on the team with the red-hot Wilson Ramos. 

“You’re playing a game where if you make an out seven out of ten times, you’re good," Werth said. "So you are borderline delusional, anyways. But yeah, never a doubt. That’s how you got to go about it. You got to think that you’re the best player on the field when you are 0-for-4 with four punch outs going into you last at-bat, in a slump, it don’t matter."

It's almost hard to believe that Werth is already in the sixth year of the seven-year, $126 million deal the Nats gave him back in 2011. At the time of the signing, Mike Rizzo and the front office were questioned for signing a player over 30 to such a long deal, expensive contract. But in his tenure in D.C., Werth has become one of the undisputed leaders of the clubhouse, a key part in the organization's transition from NL East doormat to perennial contender. And of course, as Nats fans were reminded this week, he's shown an uncanny ability to author some of the most dramatic moments in team history. 

Time will tell if the 14-year veteran is truly in the midst of a career renaissance, or if this hot streak is merely temporary. But if you're the Nats, it's definitely nice to know that Werth is still capable of a vintage performance in 2016. 

"The guy is a clutch man," manager Dusty Baker said. "He's a big game guy. He's been that since he's been here. That's what I learned about Jayson. He wants to be in that situation. Every time he comes through, that makes it easier in his mind and our mind for him to come through in the future."

Quick Links

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

WASHINGTON  -- The Washington Nationals say they have agreed to a one-year deal with 40-year-old reliever Joaquin Benoit.

The team announced the move Wednesday, along with placing pitcher Joe Ross on the 60-day disabled list as he recovers from Tommy John surgery in July.

The Nationals didn't release terms of the agreement, though a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Monday that it was for $1 million.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't official at the time.

MORE NATIONALS: FULL 2018 SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE

Benoit is a right-hander who first reached the big leagues in 2001. 

He has played for eight teams, finishing last year with Pittsburgh.

He has 764 career appearances, going 58-49 with a 3.83 ERA and 53 saves.

RELATED: 2018 MLB BETTING ODDS

Quick Links

It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future

It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future

So if you have not heard, Bryce Harper is going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2018 season.

All off-season talking heads, baseball aficionados, radio hosts, etc. were speculating on where the outfielder’s destination will be next year.

And we are still a year away from it actually happening.

RELATED: VEGAS SETS OVER/UNDERS FOR 2018 MLB SEASON

Reporting to spring training on Monday, Harper did not waste any time telling the media how his press conferences were going to play out this season.

“If guys do [ask], or talk anything about that, I will be walking right out the door.”

Entering his seventh season with the Washington Nationals, the 25-year-old is coming off the second-best season, statistically, of his career. The 2015 NL MVP has hit .285 in his career, with 150 home runs and 421 RBIs. Unquestionably he is the face of the Nationals’ organization, if not, the best player in the team’s history.

If he does end the season without a contract extension, he will join Rafael Palmeiro, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, and Barry Bonds as the top sought out free agents in MLB history.

One thing is for certain in terms of Harper’s free agency; Harper has given no inclination on where his landing spot will be.  The top three cities are of course his favorite childhood team, the New York Yankees; joining with one of his closest friends with the Chicago Cubs; or just staying with Washington.

Wherever he does land, it does appear that it will be the largest contract given to a free agent ever.

As for now we just wait and direct any of your calls to his agent Scott Boras.

READ ALSO: NATIONALS FULL SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE